Has AMD had its day

According to this graph, AMD CPUs offer similar performance to Intel CPUs at their relative price point.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Common CPU's

Even though I am an AMD fanboy, I'll admit that they are a generation behind Intel and have been playing catchup since the i series CPUs were released.

While the top of the line AMD CPU cannot touch the top of the line Intel CPU, a $100 AMD CPU will perform similarly to a $100 Intel CPU.

AMD Athlon II with 2GB of system memory is perfect for an entry-level PC and the AMD's are not so great for intense gamers.

The AMD GPU's don't seem to have good drivers, so go Intel CPU & GPU if you wish, however an AMD Hexacore (16 Cores) costs 450NZD and the Intel I7 costs 650NZD.

BTW all my computers are Intel :D

Last edited:
Perhaps you should re-read what I said instead of being so defensive.

I said... "I know of no one..." The operative word there is "I". A referenceto my own personal experiences.

AMD, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't produce a single CPU in the last 10 years that is competitive, let alone out performs competing Intel silicon.

The Athlon 64 was the only product that AMD produced that caught Intel napping.

AMD has always been more economical than Intel, and generally, throughout the years has provided the best performance vs. cost ratio.

However, with the exception of the A64, they have never out performed Intel, to the best of my knowledge. If they ever again produce a CPU that out performs Intel silicon, I'll be the first in line to buy one.

I have absolutely no loyalty when it comes to hardware. Like many people, I will always buy the hardware that is the best performing, and/or the most reliable.
Depends on what articles or PC magazines you read for tests of CPU's and under what conditions.
As you should be aware there are many different type of PC configurations for different uses so you cannot just say Intel wins hand down as it does not work that way.
If any AMD is more popular for gaming computers.

What is the big diffrence between a AMD CPU clocked to 3.0GHz and a Intel CPU clocked 3.0GHz they both use the same speed and the FSB speeds are the same.

So to me as long as the CPU has a good clock speed I will use it, motherboard permitting of corse.

Please dont reply with silly stuff or AMD vs Intel etc... cheers.

...If any AMD is more popular for gaming computers.

I read many of the posts on these forums, and honestly, I don't know where you guys get your statistics. Just a lot of fanboyism, with little or no relationship to facts.

Steam is the largest gaming site in the world. They do a hardware survey, on a regular basis, to better serve the needs of their customers by insuring compatibility. As one would expect, the people who frequent Steam from all over the world, use gaming computers.

Their surveys, consistently show, that about 73%, (+/- 2%), use Intel processors. But you guys have stated in a number of threads that... "AMD is the more popular choice for gaming computers." Where do you get this stuff from? Your friends? Believe me, I'm not trying to pick on anyone here, I see this on other forum sites as well. Primarily because there are a lot of young people on these sites with a limited budgets, so they build AMD based machines.

Here, just look at this...
Steam Hardware & Software Survey

I read the sales reports from the major suppliers such as CompUSA, Micro Center, Newegg, Amazon, etc. They all indicate that AMD processors are most often, and in some cases as high as 80% associated with budget builds, while Intel chips are generally sold for higher end, performance driven computers.

The facts are available everywhere, and are incontrovertible. Yet, so many are still willing to spout this factless nonsense.

Just trying to set the record straight.

Just a lot of fanboyism, with little or no relationship to facts.

Nothing to do with fanboyism........
Like I said depends on what the PC is built for and how it is used.
I definitely do not go by surveys as they can have loaded questions.
To fully understand CPU's you got to look at what functions are built into them and how you are going to utilize them in your preferred set up.

No use buying a certain type CPU if you are not going to use it to its full designed capacity

@MMM

I was only referring to your comment, as well as others, who say, "the most popular choice for gaming computers is AMD."

That statement is simply not true, and that was the only reason for my post.

However, there is really no point in continuing the subject any further.

AMD still offers great performance and is a good value compared to Intel. If you want the absolute best, go Intel.

If you're a casual gamer on a budget, go with AMD.

Considering the Phenom II x6 1100t is OUTperformed by the i3-3220, mind you a DUAL core vs. a HEXA core, how is that a good value?

Back
Top Bottom