NEW PC Setup

Ham, I see you have a 460 for your physX why is that? Why not just use the 580s? Should I connect back my gts 450 for physX as well?

Last edited:
If you play a lot of PhysX games then yes ... you'll have to install the drivers again and set the 450 to dedicated PhysX.

Ham, I see you have a 460 for your physX why is that? Why not just use the 580s? Should I connect back my gts 450 for physX as well?

It's up to you. The GTS 450 will work, if as Wiz says, you set it up as a dedicated PhysX card. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

The only reason I have dedicated a 460 to PhysX is because I happen to own it, and it was sitting on a shelf, doing nothing. Now it sits in my motherboard doing nothing, most of the time.

It will activate as soon as it sees a game like Metro 2033, or Mafia II. Sometimes it will show a load of around 65% as it handles a PhysX only data stream. Truth is, that 690 of yours, and even my 580 cards, could easily handle PhysX data as well, without breaking a sweat.

I've attached a photo I took of my G15 display. GPU3 is the GTX 460. In one photo you'll see it has a "0" load, because the game had no PhysX data. The other photo shows the 460 handling a PhysX load.

If you play a lot of PhysX games then yes ... you'll have to install the drivers again and set the 450 to dedicated PhysX.

Hey Wizzer...did you read through my post #88? Look at the 3 runs?

Gotta admit, I am very surprised at the extent to which the CPU plays a role. Far more than the 10~15% I thought. Probably more like 25~30%. The numbers don't lie!

Attachments

• G15 LCD Heaven Running.jpg
    G15 LCD Heaven Running.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2
  • G15 LCD Mafia II Running.jpg
    G15 LCD Mafia II Running.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 2
Final Benchmarks CPU OC at 4420MHZ. First 3Dmark11. I could probably overclock the CPU more and squeze another 500points out of it :) but I left it alone.

Score
P15054 3DMarks

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3570K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V PRO score: P15054 3DMarks

On Heaven everything was left on as standard. I did not turn on or off any settings.
Heaven Benchmark v3.0 Basic

FPS:228.8
Scores:5763
Min FPS:68.4
Max FPS:433.9

Settings

Render:direct3d11
Mode:1920x1080 fullscreen

Shaders:high
Textures:high
Filter:trilinear
Anisotropy:4x
Occlusion:enabled
Refraction:enabled
Volumetric:enabled
Tessellation:disabled

Excellent scores on both 3dMark11 & Heaven. Heaven is almost exclusively GPU intensive, with the CPU playing a very small role. The proof is, that I could not touch those Heaven scores with a pair of 580 cards.

You're doing very well in both your over clocking and benchmarking results. I can see you're learning a lot.

When you have completed all the benchmarks, and are ready to settle into every day normal use, it would be wise to reduce your CPU over clock to something mild, like around 4.0GHz, and leave it there. The difference between 4.0GHz and 4.5GHz will never be perceived during real world, every day use, and you'll increase the CPU's life with a lower clock rate, and a lot less strain on your PSU, and lower electric bills.

Back
Top Bottom