Anyone else find this as ridiculous as I do?

Definitely, but in a lot of cases, people simply won't devote the same amount of time developing a product without a profitable return. But, when it gets to the point that you are trying to spend more time defending your product than actually developing it, that goes out the window.

:rolleyes:
The OP seemed to understand what I was getting at. Wasn't suggesting it as a solution. Didn't know there was a problem I was trying to solve.

I am in no way saying they shouldn't protect their ideas, but especially with Apple (not hating on them), a lot of those patents are relatively trivial. Example, patenting the rounded corners of their phone...I don't think that it would greatly dilute a product if another phone had a similar shape.

My point is, the patents aren't just used as a way of protecting a product, but more as a weapon now a days. This is evidenced by the large amount of lawsuits revolving around these companies, especially Apple. The company I work for has several patents, but unless the infringement is blatant and the product is an almost exact clone, they don't push too much, they focus on betterinig their own product.

This kind of mentality of patenting everything in sight does get to a point where it inhibits growth and progress.

This kind of mentality of patenting everything in sight does get to a point where it inhibits growth and progress.

I could be wrong but . . . Apple Inc. Share Price Chart | AAPL - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance this doesnt appear to be inhibiting growth and progress to me.

For the consumer sure spending more money on R&D is exactly what we want but we are dealing with businesses, very very successful businesses who are out to make money and make money alone, in one sense they don't care if we are not particularly fond of their new MacBook Pro's because we are inevitably going to buy them anyway and for as long as we are doing this they shall continue to protect what they have and slowly make progress.

I'm surprised Apple is able to patent something like rounded corners on a phone. That shouldn't be a patent... That's just commonsense and I don't think Apple had the first rounded corner phone.

Sorry, I worded that poorly, I didn't mean the market growth, I mean technological growth and progress that comes through healthy competition.

I am not saying we aren't seeing any growth. What I am saying is, with a less restrictive marketplace where everyone isn't afraid of getting sued because their product might share some abstract design point with a competitor, there would be more progress in the way of performance and design. Market growth and development growth don't always go hand in hand.

Back
Top Bottom