Random Chit Chat

It's an older netbook with GMA 950 graphics. Videos and such don't render smoothly at all when using a higher resolution monitor.

Have you tried magic jelly bean to extract the product key? It won't help if you've installed another OS though. You might also be able to get the product key from the manufacturer if you give them the serial number. Honestly I have no clue if they keep records of this, but it's worth a try.

YEah I've already reinstalled with windows 7 a few times. I might buy one of those cheap windows 8 upgrades though.

My laptop only has gma x3100 graphics and it does alright on an external monitor if you turn off aero

YEah I've already reinstalled with windows 7 a few times. I might buy one of those cheap windows 8 upgrades though.

My laptop only has gma x3100 graphics and it does alright on an external monitor if you turn off aero

Well, make sure you have a valid copy of xp or later if you do that. I'm sure you knew this already though.

GMA x3100 is far better than the 950. 950 is designed to run 1024x600 screens while using as little power as possible. It's actually missing a lot of pretty standard features that are included in other IGPs.

I'm thinking of getting this acer iconia tab a100 refurbished but one thing I am wondering is does it also charge through the usb cable as well as the power jack?

Acer Iconia Tab A100-07u08u Tablet - NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual-Core 1.0GHz, 1GB DDR2, 8GB Storage, 7 Multi-Touch Display, Android 3.2 Honeycomb, Dual Webcams (Refurbished) at TigerDirect.com

I don't see why you'd buy that. The nexus 7 tablet is $20 more and is better in pretty much every way.

To answer your original question, no it can't be. The nexus 7 apparently can charge from usb though.

Last edited:
The nexus 7 has no microsd port and 16gb just isn't enough for me I go on long trips at least 4 times a year and I end up putting a lot of movies on my current mp3 player but I have a 32gb sd card.

IF the nexus 7 had a microsd slot then I would defiantly get one. I did hear of accessories that allow you to hook up flash drives and what not but that seems like it would just be a pain. Anyway I haven't totally made up my mind yet I may get a 16gb nexus 7 and get an adapter

Oh, I was not aware of that. I really wish companies would stop doing that, but I guess they're all trying to copy Apple's "charge $100 for $5 of flash memory" scheme.

is it safe for a computer to idle in the high 30s Celsius and under full load go up to 68c on the stock amd cooler? the 68 is from 10 minutes of prime 95. right now im watching a youtube video on one monitor and and browsing the internet and have minecraft paused in the background.

If I want to bring this temp down are there any coolers that do not require a back plate that are decent that will just fit on the existing amd cooler bracket?

Also I have 2 120 mm fans one in the front and one in the back as well as my psu s 140 mm fan pulling hot air out of the case.

I don't know why I am so paranoid all the time with the temps on this new rig because my old core 2 duo had only 1 exhaust fan and idled at about 33c and peaked at about 50c.

Also right now it is pretty darn hot in my dorm room which made things a little warmer in the computer.

I can't afford any computer problems this year or I am majorly screwed which is why I am so paranoid

AMD's procs have always consumed a bit more power which makes them hotter. Just the transfer of energy into heat. 68c is plenty fine; I've had my 950 up to 80-85c when my reservoir falls down and blocks flow.

AMD claims 62°C is the max "safe" temp, but I've seen people run them way higher for long periods of time without issue. IIRC, the sensors are placed in very different places than the intel chips, so the readings aren't directly comparable.

I'm going hiking again this weekend. Hopefully I won't get profiled and searched for drugs by a park ranger this time...

Back
Top Bottom