Has AMD had its day

emperor76

In Runtime
From what I have read AMD hasn't been able to compete with Intel performance wise for a long time in terms of gaming, I have almost always used AMD. I was looking at the AMD steamroller which I only actually heard about today, does anyone think they will pull something out of the bag or should I just accept AMD have had their day and make my next build an Intel

AMD still offers great performance and is a good value compared to Intel. If you want the absolute best, go Intel.

If you're a casual gamer on a budget, go with AMD.

Oh yeah, amd's pulling something out of their bag alright, but not many long time amd fans are going to like it. Their dropping socket compatibility and going for performance.

There arn't any benchmarks on Passmark for the 5800k, but the 5700 which is 400mhz slower is chewing the 2500k a new one, plus dedicated graphics on the chip. Intel's 3770k might be faster but at $130 for a 5800k that's a deal Intel can't beat.

AMD is on the right track again, maybe their next series will get competitive with Intels top of the line chips.

I love my 8150 it runs virtual machines galore. Dont get caught up in all the benchmark hoopla. Support who you think gives you a better product for your money.

AMD still offers great performance and is a good value compared to Intel. If you want the absolute best, go Intel.

If you're a casual gamer on a budget, go with AMD.

I think this ^^^, is good advice. The dyed in the wool, AMD fanboys will never admit it, but the fact is, that AMD hasn't been competition for Intel for about 10 years now.

They make a solid, reliable chip for the casual computer user, and for those folks on a tight budget. But I know of no one, who is a computer enthusiast, and has the extra money, that would choose an AMD cpu over an Intel.

I think this ^^^, is good advice. The dyed in the wool, AMD fanboys will never admit it, but the fact is, that AMD hasn't been competition for Intel for about 10 years now.

They make a solid, reliable chip for the casual computer user, and for those folks on a tight budget. But I know of no one, who is a computer enthusiast, and has the extra money, that would choose an AMD cpu over an Intel.

so amd users cant be "computer enthusiasts"? And they are poor. Thats like a linux user saying real "computer enthusiasts" use linux. We use what we like.

I have to admit, I was a little bit like that, I disliked Intel for some time, and I think that was wrong, if I had done the research and gone with the best choice after doing proper research I wouldn't be in this mess. I think my old 4600+ came out around 2005 didn't it? and I think at the time that was pretty good, but I did sort of have to swallow my pride and admit I was wrong when it came to the i series cpu's

Last edited:
Oh yeah, amd's pulling something out of their bag alright, but not many long time amd fans are going to like it. Their dropping socket compatibility and going for performance.

There arn't any benchmarks on Passmark for the 5800k, but the 5700 which is 400mhz slower is chewing the 2500k a new one, plus dedicated graphics on the chip. Intel's 3770k might be faster but at $130 for a 5800k that's a deal Intel can't beat.

AMD is on the right track again, maybe their next series will get competitive with Intels top of the line chips.

I certainly don't think there is anything worth upgrading to on my current motherboard, I am hoping for a high performance chip that I can stick with for a while, looking at benchmark results on mine, it looked mediocre compared to the others, not sure how the scores were worked out but mine scored 873, 540 multi threaded and 333 single threaded at stock speeds, where as some of the higher scores were around 1400, and a the time I got what I thought was amd's best chip, this was before bulldozer came out

AMD will always be a contender in the CPU market, they have a good reputation.;)

AMD use to be known as a cheap & under-performing CPU many years ago, not any more.... if any thing they have known to out perform Intel at times......

Last edited:
so amd users cant be "computer enthusiasts"? And they are poor. Thats like a linux user saying real "computer enthusiasts" use linux. We use what we like.

Perhaps you should re-read what I said instead of being so defensive.

I said... "I know of no one..." The operative word there is "I". A referenceto my own personal experiences.

AMD will always be a contender in the CPU market, they have a good reputation.;)

AMD use to be known as a cheap & under-performing CPU many years ago, not any more.... if any thing they have known to out perform Intel at times......

AMD, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't produce a single CPU in the last 10 years that is competitive, let alone out performs competing Intel silicon.

The Athlon 64 was the only product that AMD produced that caught Intel napping.

AMD has always been more economical than Intel, and generally, throughout the years has provided the best performance vs. cost ratio.

However, with the exception of the A64, they have never out performed Intel, to the best of my knowledge. If they ever again produce a CPU that out performs Intel silicon, I'll be the first in line to buy one.

I have absolutely no loyalty when it comes to hardware. Like many people, I will always buy the hardware that is the best performing, and/or the most reliable.

Back
Top Bottom