Is this a good buy?

dwp

Beta member
Hey everybody. Looking for some advice. I'm shopping for a desktop and found this on Craigslist: HP Core Duo Small Form Factor Desktop PC. Intel E7500-3.0Ghz CPU, 4GB Dual Channel Memory, 250GB SATA HD, LightScribe CD/DVD Combo Burner, 10USB ports (6 back-4 front), VGA & DVI video..Loaded with WIN 7 Ultimate and Office Pro 2007
They're asking $100.00

It sounds like a good deal. I'm not a gamer, just surfing, email, maybe some office work on Excel, video's/movie's now and then.

The CPU at 3.0Ghz sounds fast. Is it a good deal. I should ask for the product keys for the OS and Office right?

It's an old machine but for general web surfing and productivity, it'll get the job done. $100 isn't a terrible price.

Reactions: dwp
I think that'll be fine depending on what's on it, if it were me buying a second hand PC first thing i would do would be a fresh install of Windows.

Chances are it's already got a load of stuff on it to help it not run so great.

A fresh install of windows with those kind of specs should be fine. I've got an old Intel Dual Core machine with 2Gb RAM that runs Windows 7 fine with some light web browsing and office work.

Thanks for the feedback. I have to admit I was hoping for something like: "grab it while you can that's good machine with a fast CPU!!"

It'll be a big improvement on what I have now. a 12yr old HP Pavillion 750c.

Thanks again everybody.

Thanks for the feedback. I have to admit I was hoping for something like: "grab it while you can that's good machine with a fast CPU!!"

It'll be a big improvement on what I have now. a 12yr old HP Pavillion 750c.

Thanks again everybody.

Ha-Ha yes it certainly will be a big improvement on any 12 year old machine.

Don't get me wrong it will run basic applications fine and if you are used to a 12 yr old machine then it will seem like lightnight fast but it may struggle with some intensive applications like photoshop and dreamweaver and certainly and big games.

The only down fall is it's age i would say it's in the region of 2 - 3 years old which in computing terms is quite old. There have been a couple of generates of intels "i" processors since but for your needs i'm sure it will be fine.

You've made me reconsider (just a little bit), so I went looking online. I don't want to spend more than $400.00, I don't need a monitor. Would it be better to shop eBay? Walmart (please don't laugh) appears to have some nice ones in my price range with larger HD's but slower CPU's.

But the CPU on the used one I want to buy seems pretty fast at 3.0Ghz (compared to mine at 1.6Ghz). Although I did some checking and the fsb seemed slow at 333Mhz and I think the multiplier was 9.

I was fine with my decision until I logged on here!!!

:facepalm:

What about this one for 198.00:
eMachines Refurbished Black EL1852G-52W Desktop PC with Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5800 Processor, 3GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Home Premium

It depends on your budget, for $100 that computer is definitely a good buy so in a ncie simply one word answer for your question . . . . YES :)

However and it's just something to consider that in a year maybe 2 or 3 depending on your use you may be already wanting to purchase another computer as buying a 2/3 year old computer and using it for a further 3 years means it'll be 6 years old which in computing years is very very old.

Personally i am a very very light user of my home computer so it would do me absolutely fine and for $100 or (£65 ish) i would buy it. If i was a more intensive user and like a little bit of gaming i may be tempted to spend a little more in somehting a little newer.

Thank you for the help. I found out the used one from CL would not come with a product key for Windows 7. So I opted to buy the refurbished one from Walmart.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom