psu fan is really lound please help!!!!!

fergof10

Baseband Member
hello i have built a custom gaming pc lately and i figerd out that after i play a game for about 5-15m the psu fan gets really loud and spits out lots of air. is there any way to help prevent this and by the way the power supply is a OCZ ZT 750w.

How loud and how hot are we talking?

It's quiet normal for a PSU fan to pick up speed the longer it's on and the more current / power that's being taken out of it.

Looks like when you start a game up your CPU and GPU are hitting max and your PSU is working harder to power them so it waits as long as it can then has to kick the fan in to cool it down. Sounds quite normal to me but depends on how hot and how loud?

hello i have built a custom gaming pc lately and i figerd out that after i play a game for about 5-15m the psu fan gets really loud and spits out lots of air. is there any way to help prevent this and by the way the power supply is a OCZ ZT 750w.
Quite normal if you are pulling extra power out of the PSU, the fan is doing its job since the heat sinks are hotting up.

If it is incredibly loud and loud enough for you to think it is abnormal then i would check your purchase date and see if it can be sent back to the manafacturer or retail outlet.

I believe all electrical products (certianly in the UK) come with a 12 month warranty.

If it is out of warranty then you have two options:

1) Replace it now PSU's don't tend to be that expensive and depending on your setup you may not need something as powerful as a 750w in fact even for very good setups an effecient 550w should be able to handle it.

2) Wait and see what happens. From my experience and from people who i know's experience if the PSU is going to die it's not likely to take any of your other components out with it. When it dies replace it.

There is of course a third option which i won't advise which is taking it apart and seeing if you can fix the noise issue.
The reason i would advise against this is PSU's can store enough electricity to deliver a nasty shock even after being unplugged for some time.

@fergof10,

I certainly understand when you're being asked..."How hot is hot?" and, "How loud is loud?"

No one trying to help you, including me, can possibly be sure if there is a problem or not. You are the only one who can determine, if the PSU is behaving normally or not, based on it's prior performance characteristics.

If the hot air is normal for that PSU, then you just may have a noisy fan, or fan bearing. If that's the case then replacing the fan is very easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom