replace hard drive on dell lap top

sharknose

Beta member
Hi, I need to replace my hdd. I don't have windows 7 disk as it was preinstalled. Can I copy it across from failing hdd to new with the OS. Via usb.

Sometimes a new HDD will come with cloning software for free. If not, use Acronis True Image.

I agree with OS-Wiz Acronis works well.

If you don't own it, and don't want to buy it, you can simply back up all your data, and install your new HDD.

Then, borrow a Windows 7 disc from anyone, and use your product code to activate it.

For cloning I would recommend CloneZilla. It is free and will do everything that Acronis will.

AFAIK, there is no way to copy the entire drive via USB, even with Acronis. you would have to make an image of the drive as it is and from there put that image onto the new drive.

But sadly any Windows disk will not work. Since Windows 7 came preinstalled, it is an OEM version and you must use and OEM based disk with the same exact version of Windows 7 that you have. Meaning if your system came with Windows 7 Home Premium, you will have to use a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM disk to reinstall. OEM serials are not interchangeable with Retail disks.

I agree with OS-Wiz Acronis works well.

If you don't own it, and don't want to buy it, you can simply back up all your data, and install your new HDD.

Then, borrow a Windows 7 disc from anyone, and use your product code to activate it.

Thanks for the reply. Though I don't know where my product code is located. Any ideas?

At the minute I can't log in as normal due to error code 0142 which I have read suggests hdd is failing. And so I log on through a temporary log on as I had to do a recovery to log on atall. If I image my drive will I be able to log on as per normal one my new drive is up and running. Or will I still have a error code.

Your Windows 7 Product Code will be either on the rear of your computer, or underneath it, depending on whether it's a laptop or desktop.

At the minute I can't log in as normal due to error code 0142 which I have read suggests hdd is failing. And so I log on through a temporary log on as I had to do a recovery to log on atall. If I image my drive will I be able to log on as per normal one my new drive is up and running. Or will I still have a error code.
If you have an error on your hdd causing issues then cloning it would probably NOT be a good idea since it would most likely replicate the error on the new drive.

If possible, backup all of your data (should do that anyway), then do a clean install of the new drive. Look on the sides, back, bottom, etc... for a green/white sticker from Microsoft with a bar code on it, that sticker will have your Product Key on it. You should write that down and save it somewhere because those labels often get worn to where you can't read the info anymore.

If you are in the US, you can use this link to order recovery disks from Dell: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

... AFAIK, there is no way to copy the entire drive via USB, even with Acronis. you would have to make an image of the drive as it is and from there put that image onto the new drive. ...

You can clone over USB with Acronis. Use a USB to SATA bridge. I've done it using the Seagate Freeagent GoFlex.

It's a little slow but it works.

You can clone over USB with Acronis.

<Snip>

It's a little slow but it works.

It's true with all drives, adapters and programs I've used. All they care is that they can detect a drive

Like OSW said, it's slow to do this over USB but it works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom