NEW PC Setup

I double checked it and it's definitely in a Intel Sata III port.
Only thing I can think of myself is that I might be the drivers for it.
I also read upon it a little and unless as misread people say it's better to use the windows AHCI driver than the Intel driver as the windows one is faster. Is this right? Anyways I have not tried it out as I'm using the Intel drivers.

Yes, make sure that the SATA controller is set to either AHCI or RAID in the BIOS. Use AHCI if you are not running a RAID array on the motherboard's controller.

Be sure you have your SSD plugged into one of the two ports circled (8)

Attachments

• p8z77vpro6gbports.jpg
    p8z77vpro6gbports.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 4
Rio...even if your SSD is performing at it's best in that motherboard, be not concerned. It is absolutely impossible for anyone to tell the difference between 550/500, read/write, or 400/400, or even 400/250....impossible. Only benchmarks can see the difference. So unless you're going to spend the rest of your life running benchmarks, forget about it. These solid state drives are all so fast that the numbers just don't matter.

Here's a perfect example. The largest application you can possibly load is the operating system itself, right?

My first SSD was an 80GB Intel X25-M. It was rated at 250/170. With it, Win7 booted in 18 seconds. The Mushkin I'm using now is running at 550/500, and it boots Win7 in 15 seconds.

Now think about it. If an application the size of Windows 7 is reduced by only 3 seconds, what do you think the load time difference is between the fastest and slowest SSD for all other applications, like FireFox, or IE, or PhotoShop, or a game?

I'll tell you, fractions of a second. Hundredths, or even thousandths of a second.

All the people who tell you that they bought the latest, and greatest SSD, and now their apps load much faster, are either fooling themselves so they can justify the expense, or they are just too ignorant to know any better. Don't make yourself nuts over SSD read/write numbers.

ok fine Ill leave it as is. just wanted to make sure my results were not way of.

Rio...even if your SSD is performing at it's best in that motherboard, be not concerned. It is absolutely impossible for anyone to tell the difference between 550/500, read/write, or 400/400, or even 400/250....impossible. Only benchmarks can see the difference. So unless you're going to spend the rest of your life running benchmarks, forget about it. These solid state drives are all so fast that the numbers just don't matter.

Here's a perfect example. The largest application you can possibly load is the operating system itself, right?

My first SSD was an 80GB Intel X25-M. It was rated at 250/170. With it, Win7 booted in 18 seconds. The Mushkin I'm using now is running at 550/500, and it boots Win7 in 15 seconds.

Now think about it. If an application the size of Windows 7 is reduced by only 3 seconds, what do you think the load time difference is between the fastest and slowest SSD for all other applications, like FireFox, or IE, or PhotoShop, or a game?

I'll tell you, fractions of a second. Hundredths, or even thousandths of a second.

All the people who tell you that they bought the latest, and greatest SSD, and now their apps load much faster, are either fooling themselves so they can justify the expense, or they are just too ignorant to know any better. Don't make yourself nuts over SSD read/write numbers.

While I do agree with you, I would be pretty upset if I bought an SSD and it didn't perform as advertised. If I'm shelling out top dollar for a part, it had best perform the way they say it will.

While I do agree with you, I would be pretty upset if I bought an SSD and it didn't perform as advertised. If I'm shelling out top dollar for a part, it had best perform the way they say it will.

I hear ya Snappy, but the fact is they rarely do. I have used the Mushkin SSD on 3 different motherboards. It is spec'd at 560 read / 520 write. The worst results were on an Asus Rampage III Formula board with the Marvel 9128 controller, it ran at 450/390. Intel native ports on another board ran it at 500/470. When I bought my current Asus Rampage IV Extreme, I was surprised to see it run at 559/505, which is nearly dead on specs.

Yet look at the Crucial 256GB M4, which is spec'd at 500/260. This exact same SSD ran at 465/235 on other boards, and yet it runs well in excess of specs on the RIVE board at 550/277.

This is why I always tell folks, not to worry about it. With all those different throughput speeds, I could perceive absolutely no difference in performance, because they are all so darn fast.

Attachments

• Muskin & Crucial SSD Intel Controller 6-8-12.jpg
    Muskin & Crucial SSD Intel Controller 6-8-12.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 3
yeah I did. It is in the right port.
I left as it is for now. I went ahead instead and overclocked my gts 450 from stock 783/902 to 990/1125 :)

Back
Top Bottom