GTX 670 vs GTX 680

Wouldn't a 690 be considered SLI/Dual GPU due to the way its made? I'm talking about a single GPU solution, to clarify.

Correct. The GTX 690 is a Dual-GPU card.

If you want the best value, I'd recommend the GTX 660TI or HD 7950 for around $300.

If you want more performance at a good value, I'd recommend the GTX 670 for around $400.

If you want the best performance (within reason), I'd recommend EVGA's SuperClocked GTX 680 for around $500.

It all comes down to you for what you want to buy, but based on what you've told us so far, I think the GTX 680 fits.

Last edited:
I'm trying to help the OP, not argue semantics. I don't think its reasonable to think he would quad-SLI GTX 690s, nor is it a good idea to recommend a GTX 580 at this time. Please provide explanations when you offer suggestions, we're here to help not argue.

I am here to help, I'm saying what he could do IF he doesn't mind spending a lot of money. I'm not arguing here, I'm helping. And besides, you are the one that "corrected" my original post anyway. I think I deserve to respond to a comment like that.

Anyway, now that I addressed that - Michael19xx, if money isn't an issue AT ALL, then like I said - go for Quad SLI GTX 690's. That's probably not the case, but just because it's not probable doesn't mean I have to rule it out.
Though, the best solution for video cards very much depends on what you're willing to spend.

Here are my suggestions (For Nvidia cards):

(Note: All of these prices are from nvidia's cheapest version of each card)

Anything less than a GTX 670 would probably be something along the lines of a gtx 480 for $190, a 660 for $230, or a 660 ti for $300
For less than $400 = 1 GTX 670 @ $354.99
For $400-$500 = 1 GTX 680 @ $487.49
For $700-$710 = 2 GTX 670's @ $709.98
For $900-$100 = 2 GTX 680's for $974.98
For greater than $1000 = 2+ GTX 690's, or 3+ GTX 670's/680's

This doesn't include taxes or shipping.

And just to clear the air (NOT to argue or troll): Depending on what you meant by your last comment Michael, this may help (From the official Nvidia website):
"NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295, GeForce GTX 590, and GeForce GTX 690 cards do not require an SLI motherboard and work on all compatible motherboards."

Last edited:
I am here to help, I'm saying what he could do IF he doesn't mind spending a lot of money. I'm not arguing here, I'm helping. And besides, you are the one that "corrected" my original post anyway. I think I deserve to respond to a comment like that.

Anyway, now that I addressed that - Michael19xx, if money isn't an issue AT ALL, then like I said - go for Quad SLI GTX 690's. That's probably not the case, but just because it's not probable doesn't mean I have to rule it out.
Though, the best solution for video cards very much depends on what you're willing to spend.

Here are my suggestions (For Nvidia cards):

(Note: All of these prices are from nvidia's cheapest version of each card)

Anything less than a GTX 670 would probably be something along the lines of a gtx 480 for $190, a 660 for $230, or a 660 ti for $300
For less than $400 = 1 GTX 670 @ $354.99
For $400-$500 = 1 GTX 680 @ $487.49
For $700-$710 = 2 GTX 670's @ $709.98
For $900-$100 = 2 GTX 680's for $974.98
For greater than $1000 = 2+ GTX 690's, or 3+ GTX 670's/680's

This doesn't include taxes or shipping.

And just to clear the air (NOT to argue or troll): Depending on what you meant by your last comment Michael, this may help (From the official Nvidia website):
"NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295, GeForce GTX 590, and GeForce GTX 690 cards do not require an SLI motherboard and work on all compatible motherboards."

Ah, no, I meant that most games would use the card as if it were an SLI setup, due to it being two discrete GPUs working in tandem.

The card I'm currently looking at, at the moment, is the MSI n670 Power Edition. Its an overclocked GTX 670 for $399 after rebates. It surpasses stock 680 models.

Newegg.com - MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Once you make a final choice I would recommend you consider an EVGA card rather than MSI. The price is nearly the same.

There is no company that has a better reputation for customer service, as well as reliability than EVGA.

Don't be impressed by Core Clock speed. ANY of these cards, can be very easily over clocked.

He said he wants the best possible. Sure, two GTX 680's would be better than a single GTX 690 overall maybe, but if money really isn't an issue at all then he could just use quad SLI GTX 690's.
The best of the best would still be using GTX 690's. But if money is an issue, then he should just go along with something like a GTX 670 or a GTX 580. A single GTX 680 probably wouldn't be a very good idea though considering the small difference in performance with a much higher price.
Actually tri-SLI with 680s would be best as the fourth GPU, either with two 690s or 4 680s, only adds a very small percentage gain. To quote you "Sure, two GTX 680's would be better than a single GTX 690 overall maybe", maybe is NOT a true statement. Go to the Futuremark ORB and you'll clearly see that two 680s in SLI outperforms a 690. Please get your facts straight before making comments that are false and confuses the original poster.

Once you make a final choice I would recommend you consider an EVGA card rather than MSI. The price is nearly the same.

There is no company that has a better reputation for customer service, as well as reliability than EVGA.

Don't be impressed by Core Clock speed. ANY of these cards, can be very easily over clocked.
What he said ^^^

I've decided to look for an OC 670 that runs stable and cool. I checked out the EVGA 670 FTW recently, but I've read a lot of stuff about it running very hot and overheating. (Ironically, the 670 FTW was my first choice when I started compiling my build, and someone had told me to change to the MSI card for "better parts and better cooling")

670 that is OC'd to stock 680 levels or better that runs cool. Can anyone recommend?

I've decided to look for an OC 670 that runs stable and cool. I checked out the EVGA 670 FTW recently, but I've read a lot of stuff about it running very hot and overheating. (Ironically, the 670 FTW was my first choice when I started compiling my build, and someone had told me to change to the MSI card for "better parts and better cooling")

670 that is OC'd to stock 680 levels or better that runs cool. Can anyone recommend?

Any manufacturer, no matter how good there product, will occasionally produce something with a flaw. If you're not comfortable with EVGA, just choose another brand.

Can I run my comp off the integrated graphics of Ivy Bridge until I can decide what graphics card I want? I'm thinking about ordering everything but the graphics card for now.

Back
Top Bottom