Phase2: Receiving, Building, & Overclocking New Gaming Rig

I let it OC my 3570k on auto and I got a blue screen around 4600MHZ while it was doing the auto tuning, then it restarted itself and tuned in at 4517mhz and 1.25v and CPU temps are in mid 50c.
I did get another blue screen after the 3dmark11 was done not sure what happened there.
By the way the system for the most part runs at 1600mhz seems like, should I leave it like that? Also what you guys think about the number above?

If you're blue-screening during benchmarks I think you need to dial your OC down a bit. But I'll let the others confirm that.

Considering the max. stock freq. is 3.8GHz, you have a very nice, moderate over clock at 4.6GHz. Your memory is designed for 1600MHz so that's just fine. Overclocking the memory will give you no additional perceivable performance.

However, since your Vcore is so low at 1.25v, I suspect that you haven't yet run Prime95 to insure your over clock is stable. The BSOD after running 3dMark11 is another indicator.

Run Prime95 for 30 to 45 minutes, to insure that all workers are running, none turn red, your loads remain 100% on all cores, and your temps remain within Intel thermal specs. Monitor your temps, and if you see them climbing more that a few degrees above the design limits, shut it down, by simply exiting Prime95.

You'll have to research, (Google), your particular chip, but most state of the art Intel processors today have a temp limit of around 68c, and a Vcore limit around 1.35v....again, I'm just giving you averages, you'll need to look up the specific specs on your 3570k.

Good Luck!

EDIT: If you blue screen, you have 2 options, either go back into the BIOS, and bump your Vcore up about twice, and run Prime 95 again, and again watch those temps! If you find that you have to keep bumping up the Vcore, and the voltage, or temps, are getting too high, just lower your over clock. You may find a sweet spot for a 24/7 over clock that is perhaps 4.3GHz, with good temps, and moderate voltage.

Last edited:
I let it OC my 3570k on auto and I got a blue screen around 4600MHZ while it was doing the auto tuning, then it restarted itself and tuned in at 4517mhz and 1.25v and CPU temps are in mid 50c.
I did get another blue screen after the 3dmark11 was done not sure what happened there.
By the way the system for the most part runs at 1600mhz seems like, should I leave it like that? Also what you guys think about the number above?
Auto overclocking is for kids :D :lol:
Learn to use the force, er BIOS padawon learner. The reason CPU speed varies is because you have SpeedStep on in the BIOS -- see, learn the BIOS. :whistling:

Auto overclocking is for kids :D :lol:
Learn to use the force, er BIOS padawon learner. The reason CPU speed varies is because you have SpeedStep on in the BIOS -- see, learn the BIOS. :whistling:

Even I knew that much. I wrote down the things in the BIOS I'll need to turn off before OC'ing.

On another note, for my CPU/cooler, what's a rough estimate about where I should aim to leave my overclock if I'm going for a 24/7 OC not just seeing what the max stable OC I can get is? I want to overclock it and leave it that way, my desktop is always either in full use (gaming, etc.) or turned off. So 4 days a week its only on for a few hours at night, and the other 3 its potentially on all day.

I was thinking I want an OC in the 4.4-4.6GHz range. Am I aiming too high? Too low? I didn't base my estimate on very much knowledge.

Shipment 4 of 4 has arrived.

Attachments

• IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0544.jpg
    IMAG0544.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1
Well Compy, if I were you, I'd probably find a sweet spot around 4.2~4.3GHz, and leave it there for 24/7 use.

Sure, you'll see plenty of folks with the 3570k running it at 4.6GHz full time. I've found over the years that the difference between 4.2GHz & 4.6GHz in real world every day computing is absolutely not perceptible. It can only be seen in benchmarks.

So, why shorten the life of an expensive chuck of silicon, by running it hotter, and with higher voltage, than is necessary. Make sense?

Hey Ham-n-Eggs, do you think he might be able to take advantage of the method you found with turbo-only multi's???? Wonder if his BIOS handles it?

Hey Ham-n-Eggs, do you think he might be able to take advantage of the method you found with turbo-only multi's???? Wonder if his BIOS handles it?

I don't know.

I haven't mentioned it to anyone here because these are all young guys with little, or no, over clocking experience. The turbo over clock, really requires a basic understanding of over clocking principles first.

Not only that, you and I are working with a far more sophisticated BIOS. I have no idea if the BIOS for the 3570k in the boards they're using would even support that, and I don't want to confuse them.

Well Compy, if I were you, I'd probably find a sweet spot around 4.2~4.3GHz, and leave it there for 24/7 use.

Sure, you'll see plenty of folks with the 3570k running it at 4.6GHz full time. I've found over the years that the difference between 4.2GHz & 4.6GHz in real world every day computing is absolutely not perceptible. It can only be seen in benchmarks.

So, why shorten the life of an expensive chuck of silicon, by running it hotter, and with higher voltage, than is necessary. Make sense?

Hm. I'd really like a 1GHz OC, just for the hell of it. If I can get a 4.4GHz OC with really good temps (I'm confident with my airflow, cooler, and ambient temps I'll have good luck) it'd be safe (or at least not a bad idea) to leave it at that 24/7?

It's not that 4.4GHz is any sort of "sweet spot" or anything, so much as I just want a 1.0GHz+ OC, and I plan to basically "OC it & forget it".

Also forgot a picture, Shipment 4 also came with my surge protector, secondary hard drive, Borderlands 2, and 4x 120mm fans:

Attachments

• IMAG0542.jpg
    IMAG0542.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom