I wanna get into programming

In the real world (not school) to get well grounded as a programmer I'd start with C, then get into JAVA, C++, and C#. Then get into HTML, WSDLs, XSDs. Learn C here: http://www.cprogramming.com/ Learn WSDLs, XSDs at the W3C site: World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) If you're heavy into Microsoft then learn .net, PSP, and PHP. Learn JAVA here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index.html

For your first or second job a certification or two might impress; after that they mean little. That's when experience and deep technical knowledge take over. When I'm looking for an experienced programmer and see a long list of certs I generally throw the resume away.

Last edited:
There's a big sticky I threw up in this section you might want to have a look at which pretty much answers that question!

use notepad++ as your free editor and start with the first program every programmer starts with: hello world.
(making the program show the words "hello world")
I started with C++ and made a console store application that could keep track of the products and how much money they have earned. then i tried C# in visual studio. i feel like C# is easier to learn, but also a little less powerful than C++
also check out some batch for scripting in windows.

^^^^thanks I aways wanted to get into programming but now im really serious I have ideas just need to learn how to put it in code them are softwares u listed right

use notepad++ as your free editor and start with the first program every programmer starts with: hello world.
(making the program show the words "hello world")
I started with C++ and made a console store application that could keep track of the products and how much money they have earned. then i tried C# in visual studio. i feel like C# is easier to learn, but also a little less powerful than C++
also check out some batch for scripting in windows.
I don't have an issue with your advice so don't take this the wrong way. I've found that programmers that start with JAVA, C++, or C# are not well grounded in the basics of programming. When things go wrong during development in those languages their ability to debug their programs is very limited because they are not well grounded. Some old fart like me has to help them find and fix their code. Learning C greatly helps with the grounded needed (and makes my life much simpler, hehe).

<<I started with assembler>>

I don't have an issue with your advice so don't take this the wrong way. I've found that programmers that start with JAVA, C++, or C# are not well grounded in the basics of programming. When things go wrong during development in those languages their ability to debug their programs is very limited because they are not well grounded. Some old fart like me has to help them find and fix their code. Learning C greatly helps with the grounded needed (and makes my life much simpler, hehe).

<<I started with assembler>>

I could write pages on this here and now, but I'll try and keep it short ;)

This entirely depends what you define as "the basics of programming". If you define it as the basic syntax and constructs - if statements, loops, methods/fucntions, etc. then any language could teach those just as well (that is any turing complete, non-functional language that actually *has* those constructs of course.) If you class them as the very low-level stuff, like memory management, GC, and so on, then of course Java won't help teach those things right off, whereas if you start with C you'll have to learn them in order to progress.

These days though, that's not really necessary in order to get started - an in depth knowledge of malloc, free (new and delete in C++) just isn't required in any language containing built-in GC. And if you're relying on low level memory mappings to try and debug your application in a high level language that doesn't expose the memory management, you're doing it the wrong way...!

I regularly teach the seminars for our introductory programming module at the university I'm at. We teach Java, and those who have had experience with languages like C / assembler beforehand are almost always obsessed with completely the wrong things (I need to use ++x instead of x++! I need to explicitly free this piece of memory now so I can use it for my next linked list node! I need to multiply by bit shifting instead of using *!) I've generally found them struggle to grasp OO because of it, and generally get much more frustrated as a result.

That's not to say everyone who learns C first struggles, or ends up as a bad programmer - but to say if people get confused later, that usually depends much more on what / how they've been taught initially rather than the language they've used.

berry120,
I can agree with most of what you've experienced. I'll just say this, not all programmers are programmers. In the commercial realm we need programmers so desperately they'll hire nearly anyone whom professes they can code and can successfully navigate the door jam!
If you teach, please, please send us "real" programmers that understand the basics of how computers work, have strong logic skills, what makes the screen flicker, etc. In other words, I can help them be better programmers in whatever language, but they must be able to navigate the door jam. More directly, flunk the dead heads!

berry120,
I can agree with most of what you've experienced. I'll just say this, not all programmers are programmers. In the commercial realm we need programmers so desperately they'll hire nearly anyone whom professes they can code and can successfully navigate the door jam!
If you teach, please, please send us "real" programmers that understand the basics of how computers work, have strong logic skills, what makes the screen flicker, etc. In other words, I can help them be better programmers in whatever language, but they must be able to navigate the door jam. More directly, flunk the dead heads!

Believe me, I try!

Getting off topic a bit, but I do agree - there's way too many people who graduate from university with a degree in CS and can't code to save their lives. FWIW, I'm actually doing a PhD at the moment trying to do something to help this issue, as part of it I'm looking at developing a notional machine / associated tool to hopefully allow people to harness those necessary skills more easily and quickly. With that and the combined recent change in curriculum so programming is compulsory at secondary school, I really do hope this situation changes...!

Back
Top Bottom