Phase2: Receiving, Building, & Overclocking New Gaming Rig

Whew!!! There goes nearly $700.00, thanks for stimulating the economy!

Yeah, it came out closer to $800 after taxes. I ordered the GTX 680 / H100 / HDD, then realized I forgot to use my $15 newegg gift card I got, so I used it to get a nice nearly-free surge protector, and for the hell of it threw the 4 120mm fans in that order so I can just finish everything and be done with it.

And now I don't know why I bothered installing the stock HSF, I'll have the H100 tomorrow. The stock thermal paste that comes with the H100 is good, right? I read reviews that say its good quality.

Last edited:
The stock TIM that's pre-applied to the H-100 cooling block is a special formulation, made for Corsair, by Dow Corning. It's excellent, and those that remove it immediately because they assume it's no good, are very foolish.

The stock TIM that's pre-applied to the H-100 cooling block is a special formulation, made for Corsair, by Dow Corning. It's excellent, and those that remove it immediately because they assume it's no good, are very foolish.

Good to hear! And whats the best way to remove the old thermal paste? I usually use Isopropyl Alcohol and a coffee filter

Yes, I do the same, or sometimes I'll use 91% Iso alcohol, and an eyeglass or camera lens wipe.

Good to hear! And whats the best way to remove the old thermal paste? I usually use Isopropyl Alcohol and a coffee filter

I have my cat lick the thermal paste off. Her tongue is like sandpaper and she loves the smell of old thermal paste in the morning.

Just joking! :) I don't even have a cat!

You sick, twisted Bad_Machine.

That's terrible using a grown cat as a TIM lick.

Civilized folks use kittens for such tasks.

What the hell does that mean???
You old fart, I was being sarcastic, geez. You need to get out more ...

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

What he said ^^^

Given my incredibly limited experience overclocking, I'm catching up on some reading. Anybody have some good articles or tips?

With that CPU concentrate of CPU voltage and CPU multiplier. Use RealTemp to monitor temps and CPU-Z to verify the overclock. Use EVGA Precision X to overclock the 680. Use GPU-Z to verify GPU overclock. I do not exceed vendor recommended max voltages, temps, etc by more than 10%; I have never blown a CPU or vidcard using that rule of thumb. But while you are learning do NOT exceed vendor recommendations, go in small steps, and watch temps very carefully. Use Prime 95 Blend test to check stability. Use this url to look up Intel recommendations for your CPU: ARK | Your source for information on Intel® products

Here's something showing all those apps:

Attachments

• 3dm11 P19513.jpg
    3dm11 P19513.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom