Helium-filled drives

To be fair I wasn't sure how it was acquired, a friend told me a few months ago and when I seen the post I found this BBC News - Helium shortage prompts scientist's balloon use warning "It is usually mined as a by-product of natural gas extraction. But resources are finite and demand is increasing, which is why supplies are restricted". But on a lighter note, I had never heard of the advantages of helium in hard drives, sounds good, will it be expensive?

Probably very expensive. I think at first we will just see them in use in servers in big data centers. They take up less space (per byte) and draw less power.

I doubt that HDDs will be still around in 20 years time, at least not in the way their current tech works, helium or no helium. For as long as NAND flash density keeps increasing at the present rate and SSD manufacturing costs keep on dropping, there's only one way things can go. SSDs will eventually take over completely, unless of course something better, cheaper and faster is invented.

I doubt that HDDs will be still around in 20 years time, at least not in the way their current tech works, helium or no helium. For as long as NAND flash density keeps increasing at the present rate and SSD manufacturing costs keep on dropping, there's only one way things can go. SSDs will eventually take over completely, unless of course something better, cheaper and faster is invented.
I am pretty sure there will be something better by then when you look at the technology we had 20 years ago, not that I had a computer then, but I have built older ones, was just looking then and apparently in 1992 Intel released the 486DX2 and windows 3.1 was released, I remember that os at school. It would be amazing to flash forward and see the technology they will have in 2032

Last edited:
I am pretty sure there will be something better by then when you look at the technology we had 20 years ago, not that I had a computer then, but I have built older ones, was just looking then and apparently in 1992 Intel released the 486DX2 and windows 3.1 was released, I remember that os at school. It would be amazing to flash forward and see the technology they will have in 2032

Factor in that technology has been increasing exponentially not linearly and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even have what we would recognize as a 'computer' in 20 years time.

Whatever it is, would probably blow our minds if we saw it now, but will probably just be "oh this is kinda cool" when it finally comes.

Back
Top Bottom