Bad RAM, MOBO, HDD, PSU or Processor? A little diagnostic help, please.

Re: Is my BIOS gone?

Try changing the PSU. Sometimes a faulty PSU will surge and cause the motherboard to go into "protect mode" in which the components turn on but it doesn't POST or boot.

Also, there is no need to start a new thread for the same issue.

I will try both. There is a clear cmos jumper. Do I just move it to the clear position and move it right back, or wait awhile or what? Oh, and this isn't a repost. only the first part of the message is pasted. Since then, I've tried several things and those are added here. I started a new thread because the title was a bit vague and included an unfounded assumption.

Edit: The original RAM came bundled with the board, but was actually not on the list of approved vendors. In fact, it was downright cheap. The new RAM is better quality and is on the list.

When you clear the CMOS, make sure that there is no power at all going to the board. Unplug the power and hold the power button. Then move the jumper to clear and move it back after a few seconds.

Done it. No joy. I think I'm going to have to put my old board and processor back in to at least rule out the hard drive and PSU. After that, I'm pretty sure it's the board unless anyone else has any ideas? Assuming I've lost BIOS, how do go about restoring it if I can't access anything resembling an interface? Is it a matter of removing the chip and reprogramming it? If so...Can anyone suggest a decent MOBO for that processor?

Ok, so I fixed it though I have no idea what the problem actually was. I tried once more to unplug and reconnect all the hardware, when I remembered the fans in my hard drive cooler were seized last time I spring-cleaned my system. I know a stalled motor draws a LOT more current than a working one, so I disconnected it and everything worked. I cleaned the fans and got them running and put the cooler back in, but on a separate power cable to the hard drive - one that only has fans on it. I installed the second RAM module, but the problem returned so I assumed my power supply just fell short of the systems requirements. I disconnected a USB card-reader and now everything works fine. Oh, and there was also an intermittent problem with the SATA connection on my hard drives board which confused the whole matter and made diagnosis much more difficult.
So...by elimination and trial-and-error, I got there in the end. I have no idea if any of my reasoning was correct, or if I got lucky. But I'm still chalking this one up in the win column.

Ok, so I fixed it though I have no idea what the problem actually was. I tried once more to unplug and reconnect all the hardware, when I remembered the fans in my hard drive cooler were seized last time I spring-cleaned my system. I know a stalled motor draws a LOT more current than a working one, so I disconnected it and everything worked. I cleaned the fans and got them running and put the cooler back in, but on a separate power cable to the hard drive - one that only has fans on it. I installed the second RAM module, but the problem returned so I assumed my power supply just fell short of the systems requirements. I disconnected a USB card-reader and now everything works fine. Oh, and there was also an intermittent problem with the SATA connection on my hard drives board which confused the whole matter and made diagnosis much more difficult.
So...by elimination and trial-and-error, I got there in the end. I have no idea if any of my reasoning was correct, or if I got lucky. But I'm still chalking this one up in the win column.

Yes it was an identical OP so I merged the threads. Regardless the problem was fixed.

Actually, I was wrong about the fix. I did have problems with the SATA connection on that drive before, but the problem returned recently and I was taking everything apart and scratching my head, when I realised the cause. The computers case only has raised screw-holes for the motherboard near the middle of the board and at the top. The ones at the bottom are flush with the chassis, so tightening screws in them cause the motherboard to bend and make contact with the chassis right where the SATA connectors are. I took out the screws and put duct tape on the chassis around this point and now everything is fine.

:eek:

Your case should have come with standoffs to use in the screw holes that aren't raised. Never ever allow a motherboard to flex and contact the chassis. I'm suprised you didn't cause permanent damage.

Back
Top Bottom