Mini home network query

I really only need the ability to plug in in various rooms, one is the main office, then kids rooms, kitchen etc. It's not an actual office set up where I'll be transferring files etc. Does that mean this would be over sufficient for my needs? I've actually already gone and ordered one, just one of these: 8 Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network LAN Switch hub RJ45 | eBay

Probably nowhere near as good as the one you're suggesting but it'll surely be ok for what I need?

You have to appreciate that those 4 Ports on your Talk Talk router are in fact a 4 port Layer-2 switch and not routed ports. Yes you could extend the layer 2 network by attaching another switch to one of the ports. The number of ports on that switch would depend on how many devices you intend to attach to the network. There are many to choose from, but connecting an expensive switch to your TalkTalk router would be a waste of money, just go out and get a small Belkin or Netgear 5 or 8 port model and that should do the job for you.

Back
Top Bottom