Graphics Card Issue

cb600fshornet

Fully Optimized
Right, got a GTX 280, lately it's been getting very hot. So, being a fairly reasonable guy, I stripped it down, taking all the plastic covers off so I could clean the dust out.

Went well, cleaned it, put it back together, plugged it in.

Turned the PC on, the fan on the GPU is spinning at full speed, and I'm getting nothing on screen. Same with either DVI port.

PC works fine with onboard graphics.

I was working on a carpet, albeit fairly thin carpet, when I was stripping it down, and wearing no antistatic wristband. Do you think I could have killed it with static?

Also, anyway to bring it back to life? ;((

I'll subscribe here, because I am interested in your outcome.

Since the card was working well before you cleaned it, and now no longer works after you cleaned it, it's reasonable to assume that you did something, disturbed something, forced something, to cause this condition.

I assume that you've reseated the card in a different PCI slot, and still have the same condition?

Perhaps in may be a good idea the remove the plastic shroud again, and take a look at everything to see if there is any physical damage. Perhaps run the 280 without the shroud, to see if it runs, which would indicate the shroud is being forced too tightly against something.

You'll find it eventually, and I'll check back find out what it was.

I used a GTX 280 for about a year, and they'll run hot even at idle.

The problem is, the shroud IS part of the heatsink in my case.

I can probably get away with removing the rear panel on it though.

I only have the one PCIe slot suitable for my card :\

Oh, I guess I misunderstood. In your original post, you said that you removed the plastic cover. I thought you were referring to the shroud.

No, it's really not necessary. I thought that you may have disturbed, or damaged something, when you removed the shroud. That's why I suggested running it without the shroud. However, since you never did initially remove the shroud, it would serve no purpose to do that now.

Back
Top Bottom