Back again - upgraded my processor to A Quad.

Hungstick

Solid State Member
Okay, here's My Story.

My Computer Is A HP a6813w. I purchased A Quad core processor "Intel Xeon X3210 @ 2.13GHz"

The motherboard supports To W, And The processor is X.

I installed it and it works fine, no issues. But i looked up A bios update And My bios was 2009(I think) and the newest was 2010.

I downloaded it, And it was a "Exe" and i ran it, It froze My computer up twice, And made me hard reset it. The third time, It worked fine, And i restarted. It said after the splash screen That it went back to default.

So i removed The quad, put the supported Dual back in, And tried it again. No luck, it still loaded The default Back.

My question is, One, Why can i not update The bios?
two, Is The update Necessary?

Thank you.

Specs -

MS Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit SP1

Intel Xeon X3210 @ 2.13GHz 50 °C
Kentsfield 65nm Technology

5.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)

PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia (CPU 1) 44 °C

512MB GeForce 9800 GT (XFX Pine Group)

466GB ATA WDC WD5000AAKS-6 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

BIOS files normally have either the older .rom or the new .cap file extensions. Did you do this BIOS update in Windows?
Seems to me if the older BIOS is working with the newer chip, but not not the newer BIOS, I'd just leave well enough alone.

BIOS files normally have either the older .rom or the new .cap file extensions. Did you do this BIOS update in Windows?
Seems to me if the older BIOS is working with the newer chip, but not not the newer BIOS, I'd just leave well enough alone.

Yes i did Run The bios While In windows.

The Chip is working fine with the older bios, But the old processor the dual core cannot get it to update the bios either, Both chips can't Get a good bios update. They just keep going back to default.

Am I going to Be able to tell A difference In playing Games with The Quad? Or is it only with programs that use the more cores?

Thanks.

There's a few games that can exploit more than two cores.

About the BIOS update, more than likely the app you downloaded is either faulty or you've accidentally picked the wrong one for your mobo/chipset. Its extremely important you choose the correct one; a bad BIOS flash can make your mobo unusable.

There's a few games that can exploit more than two cores.

About the BIOS update, more than likely the app you downloaded is either faulty or you've accidentally picked the wrong one for your mobo/chipset. Its extremely important you choose the correct one; a bad BIOS flash can make your mobo unusable.

I Went to The Hp Website, And i Entered My Exact Make And Model, And downloaded that.. So I know It's not the wrong one, i seen The display picture of my rig.. I Understand The Dangers As to why i won't try it again, But just kinda odd That it was the correct one, for my mb, Yet did not accept it.

Back
Top Bottom