psu fan direction

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi, this is probably going to sound like a stupid question as I should really know this by now, but does anyone know the correct way for the psu fan to go, so far I have had it facing down towards the dust filter at the bottom of the case (the psu is mounted at the bottom of the case). But today after cleaning all the dust out of my computer I decided to turn it so it was facing up and I noticed lots of cold air being blown upwards towards the cpu etc, got it on now and is running better than I expected, I even have the side panel on with a game on and it's not overheating like it usually does, should it be this way?

Did you buy that PSU new?

Has anyone messed with it since you bought it?

Was the fan ever replaced?

I'm asking these questions because it sounds like that fan is installed upside-down.

A PSU fan should be mounted so it is sucking in cool air, blowing it through the power supply's heat sinks, and then exhausted out the back of the machine.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Some real cheapo O.E.M. PSUs will have the fan at the read of the chassis the pull air through the supplies box, and then out the back. If that's what you're using it does no good to have the exhausted air blowing on the CPU.

Please identify the PSU exactly.

Did you buy that PSU new?

Has anyone messed with it since you bought it?

Was the fan ever replaced?

I'm asking these questions because it sounds like that fan is installed upside-down.

A PSU fan should be mounted so it is sucking in cool air, blowing it through the power supply's heat sinks, and then exhausted out the back of the machine.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Some real cheapo O.E.M. PSUs will have the fan at the read of the chassis the pull air through the supplies box, and then out the back. If that's what you're using it does no good to have the exhausted air blowing on the CPU.

Please identify the PSU exactly.

It's a CIT 750 watt psu, not the best psu but funds were tight, no one has messed with the psu, I bought it new about a year ago when I built the computer, do I remember the old psu's having one tiny fan in the back? this one however has one big fan which can be directed either to the bottom of the case which is how I originally installed it when I built the computer, but that was pretty much against the carpet so I started to think, how is the air getting out? what I don't get is, why is the air coming from the fan so cold, that's why I thought it would be good for my system here is my psu http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...a=X&ei=Fb5eUL7QIoTG0QXFu4CADQ&ved=0CEQQ8gIwAQ

Last edited:
I would replace that psu as soon as u can. I has that exact psu as it had really good reviews. However it went after 6-7 months an took out my Intel Mobo. An its seems the reviews hav started to turn as well as more of them fail.

Are you sure its not sucking air from the case then out the back? If it is not you could easily turn the fan round.

I wish I could be of further assistance, but all I can say is every PSU I have ever seen is designed to me mounted fan down, at the bottom of the case so it draws in cool air, blows that air through it's chassis, and then vents it out the rear.

I wish I could be of further assistance, but all I can say is every PSU I have ever seen is designed to me mounted fan down, at the bottom of the case so it draws in cool air, blows that air through it's chassis, and then vents it out the rear.

thanks, I must have something wrong then, I will have a proper look and make sure I have this right and get back, it does have a grate at the back with no fan so it would stand to reason that you are right, but my setup probably doesn't help being on a carpet as I can't imagine getting much cold air that way. I only had the computer running for a matter of minutes when I put my hand over, does it make a difference that it is mounted at the bottom of the case and not the top?

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I would replace that psu as soon as u can. I has that exact psu as it had really good reviews. However it went after 6-7 months an took out my Intel Mobo. An its seems the reviews hav started to turn as well as more of them fail.

Are you sure its not sucking air from the case then out the back? If it is not you could easily turn the fan round.

cheers, I have wanted a Corsair one for quite some time, but funds are short, and psu has been pushed down the list a bit due to recent cooling issue's, the first thing I will be getting is a new case, then possibly an aftermarket cpu cooler. Then hopefully I will be able to afford the new psu, ram and new gpu

thanks, I must have something wrong then, I will have a proper look and make sure I have this right and get back, it does have a grate at the back with no fan so it would stand to reason that you are right, but my setup probably doesn't help being on a carpet as I can't imagine getting much cold air that way. I only had the computer running for a matter of minutes when I put my hand over, does it make a difference that it is mounted at the bottom of the case and not the top?

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

cheers, I have wanted a Corsair one for quite some time, but funds are short, and psu has been pushed down the list a bit due to recent cooling issue's, the first thing I will be getting is a new case, then possibly an aftermarket cpu cooler. Then hopefully I will be able to afford the new psu, ram and new gpu

I'd be careful about prioritizing the PSU so low. A bad PSU failing can take out other parts with it.

I'd be careful about prioritizing the PSU so low. A bad PSU failing can take out other parts with it.
yeah, I have heard the psu can be quite important, the only reason I have been forced to push it down the list is the cooling issue's I had were quite severe, causing the cpu to stick to the heatsink while playing a game, after this the cpu was at 60 c idle, now I have reapplied the paste I have it down to 40 and with the side panel off I can play civ 4 and keep the temp slightly lower than this, so I think the need for a case is pretty high, but I agree with you the psu is important

Last edited:
Thanks, it seems pretty unanimous, I will mount the psu facing downwards, but I shall do it tomorrow as I have had one of them days and my brain is melting, I think a bit of civ is called for, I'm completely addicted!

Back
Top Bottom