Fn Key Locked?

Swagg1

Solid State Member
I recently installed a new keyboard for my Acer Aspire 5253, it was the regular stock keyboard, It seems the Fn key has got locked, the Fn key has commands for F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, the arrow keys, home, Pg Up, Pg Dn, and End keys on this keyboard
But even when holding down the Fn key, none of those keys give their regular command, they still give the Fn command, as well as when the Fn key is not pressed
I have tried Fn+NumLock, Shift+Fn+Numlock, Fn+Scrollock, Fn+F11, but none of these work, it still always gives the Fn command, can any one help me with this?
Any help would be highly appreciated
Thanks

I don't see how it would've changed if all you did was install a new keyboard, but have you looked in the BiOS for any options that might have been enabled/disabled regarding the Fn key? I know in an old laptop I had to use an option in the BiOS to lock the Fn key because mine stopped working.

Have you altered or updated your BiOS recently?

Last edited:
I recently installed a new hard drive, didn't do anything with the BIOS
Can't change anything in the settings anyways since I can't use my arrow keys

Last edited:
I recently installed a new hard drive, didn't do anything with the BIOS
Can't change anything in the settings anyways since I can't use my arrow keys

Was it working at any point after installing the new hard drive, but before installing the new keyboard?

Any other way of getting into the BIOS settings without the arrow keys?
I still have the old keyboard, what if I re-install that and change the BIOS settings for the Fn key, would that work? I had to change the keyboard because it had a lot of broken keys

Any other way of getting into the BIOS settings without the arrow keys?
I still have the old keyboard, what if I re-install that and change the BIOS settings for the Fn key, would that work? I had to change the keyboard because it had a lot of broken keys

If the problem is something in the BiOS, I don't think installing your other keyboard will help, might have the same problem. Sounds more like something else went wrong in the process.

An easier check, though, would be to plug in an external USB keyboard, and try that to access the BiOS?

I re-installed the old keyboard, the Fn key is functioning normally now, it is just on the other keyboard there is a problem, I went through the F2 settings on startup, there is no Fn key setting there, any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom