Help Me Build My New Gaming Rig

I agree with ol' Ham-n-Eggs.
Again: I'd just get 8GB memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM and get the H80 or H100 cooler.
And I prefer ASUS over Gigabytel; check out this mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks, I was trying to find an ASUS board myself, as I prefer them over Gigabyte as well.

What made you choose that RAM specifically? What's good about it? I don't know a whole lot about RAM.

Last edited:
+1 This sums it up...

The HAF 932 Advanced, or HAF X are both excellent choices. I prefer the HAF 932 Advanced because you can remove the single 230mm side panel fan, and replace it with 4x120 R4 fans as I've done. Photos below. Provides tons of air flow, which is critical when using powerful graphics cards, and over clocking.

As far as your CPU cooling is concerned, go with the H100, if you think you may want high over clocks. The H80, if you will never want more than a moderate over clock, or the D-14 if you decide on air.

Just remember, if you go with a large air cooler, to make certain that it will clear the high heat sink fins on your memory.

I've decided to go with the H100 for space/overclocking.

Regarding the case, I like the 4x120mm fan setup you've got going... Can you link me to the fans that you used?
Newegg has a $20 off promotion going on the HAF 932 right now bringing it down to $140, might order that today.

CURRENT CHOICES:
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ~ $140
PSU: CORSAIR TX850 V2 850W PSU ~ $135
CPU: Intel core i5-3750k Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 ~ $230
CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H100 ~ $115
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 ~ $210
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GTX 680 2GB ~ $500
MEMORY: 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series ~ $70
HARD DRIVE: MUSHKIN Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD ~ $190
HARD DRIVE 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM ~$110
OPTICAL DRIVE: LITE-ON CD-R/DVD-R DRIVE ~ $20
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ~ $100

TOTAL: ~ $1820 + tax/shipping
Grand Total: $1,959.64
Rebates: ~ $50
Final Cost: ~ $1910

BUDGET: ~ $2000

I just realized I forgot I'll need a new copy of Windows, had an OEM copy and I don't think my hard-drive survived.

Anybody know anything about Windows 8? Slated for general release in a little over a month from now, worth the wait? Or is there any deals out there Buy Win7 now, get Win8 free when it comes out? (I got a deal like this with Win7).

With this in mind, I'm pushing very close to my budget (which is already more than I expected to spend)...

Last edited:
I wouldn't use 8 on a desktop.

Why not? I haven't looked into anything at all about Windows 8, I just don't want to have to upgrade in the future if I have to buy one either way right now.

Edit: Still curious why, but considering the Windows 8 upgrade is so cheap anyway, I'll just go with 7 and I can upgrade to 8 later after it's been out awhile and I see whether I want to or not.

Last edited:
The Windows 8 interface is completely different. I find it to be cumbersome on a non-touch enabled device.

My credit card payments just cleared so I'm going to begin placing orders now.

Found $53.50 worth off promo codes off my first order of 3 items ($20 off case, $20 off windows 7, 10% off CORSAIR PSUs) with $30 worth of mail-in rebates off those 3 items as well.

Solid $83.50 savings off $400 worth of equipment. Always look for those promo codes!

....Regarding the case, I like the 4x120mm fan setup you've got going... Can you link me to the fans that you used?
Newegg has a $20 off promotion going on the HAF 932 right now bringing it down to $140, might order that today.

Anybody know anything about Windows 8? ....

Here's the link to the R4 fans I use...

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan

If you spin them down to about 1,600rpm, they move almost as much air...still more than the single 230mm stock fan, and are almost silent. I've used them for years, and never had a failure. They can be purchased at CompUSA, Tiger Direct, (same company), and other vendors. They are generally on sale somewhere, for around $7.99, and sometimes Newegg will have them on sale, 5 for $19.99, with/without leds.

I hope you get the HAF 932 "Advanced", and not the HAF 932, there is a considerable difference.

As for the Windows 8 OS, I'd suggest staying away from it. Most people dislike the new interface intensely, and I'm one of them. More importantly, there is no performance increase, between Win7 & Win8. I would suggest skipping this iteration of Windows.

Here's the link to the R4 fans I use...

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan

If you spin them down to about 1,600rpm, they move almost as much air...still more than the single 230mm stock fan, and are almost silent. I've used them for years, and never had a failure. They can be purchased at CompUSA, Tiger Direct, (same company), and other vendors. They are generally on sale somewhere, for around $7.99, and sometimes Newegg will have them on sale, 5 for $19.99, with/without leds.

I hope you get the HAF 932 "Advanced", and not the HAF 932, there is a considerable difference.

As for the Windows 8 OS, I'd suggest staying away from it. Most people dislike the new interface intensely, and I'm one of them. More importantly, there is no performance increase, between Win7 & Win8. I would suggest skipping this iteration of Windows.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

There's a link directly to the exact HAF 932 Advanced that I ordered. Thank you very much for the link for the fans.

And I generally game with a headset on, so I don't really care about sound. I'd probably leave them at 2000 RPM even if it sounded like a jet engine.

Placed my first order:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom