Help Me Build My New Gaming Rig

Looks like a nice build. Yes, RAM is cheap so we all tend to load up on it.

Truth is, you'd be hard pressed to use more than 4.5GB under any circumstances, so 8GB is more than you'll need for years. But hey, who am I to talk with 16GB I can't use. I bought it, because I couldn't resist the price for 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, for $74.99.

Oh, and to answer your earlier question. You will see, feel, perceive, absolutely no difference between 8GB, 12GB, or 16GB of memory. You will also never be able to detect the difference between 1600MHz, 1866MHz, or 2100MHz, without the aid of benchmarking apps.

I'm running the same Mushkin SSD you intend to buy. If you want it to run at or slightly above it's rated specs, be certain to use your motherboard's native Intel SATA III ports.

Thanks. Regarding the RAM, it's what I already knew, but helped me convince myself that 12GB is more than enough!

I notice you use the i7 3930k w/ H100 cooler, any input on pros/cons of those coolers, or whether its worth the upgrade from my i5 choice to the i7 3930k? Bearing in mind that I use my computer almost exclusively for gaming, some graphic design occasionally (just basic Photoshop, minor animations), and as a part of my music/movie entertainment system.

Money is not really any object, $300 extra on this build just means $300 less wasted on weed/vodka that paycheck... But I still don't want to be throwing money at parts of my computer that I'll never see a return on investment from. I'm already investing more than necessary just because I enjoy enthusiast builds and as much futureproofing as I need.

The 3930K / H100 is a good combination (see pic and sig).

With your budget I'd get an nVidia GTX680 (why mess around -- you're a gamer!). And move up to the i7-3770K Ivy Bridge: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

I'd just get 8GB memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM

Do you overclock? If you do, consider the H100 if the case you picked can handle mounting it.

Attachments

• 3dm11 P19513.jpg
    3dm11 P19513.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 8
I agree with OS-Wiz on the GTX 680. I always go for the most powerful graphics card I can afford, because that is the first hardware to require upgrading.

As far as the CPU is concerned the i5 3750k will do everything you want, and handle the next vid card upgrade as well. So going for a more powerful chuck of silicon is up to you.

The H100 provides great cooling. If you intend to do some serious over clocking, it's the best. If OC'ing is not a priority, then go with the H80, or air, like a Noctua D-14.

I agree with OS-Wiz on the GTX 680. I always go for the most powerful graphics card I can afford, because that is the first hardware to require upgrading.

As far as the CPU is concerned the i5 3750k will do everything you want, and handle the next vid card upgrade as well. So going for a more powerful chuck of silicon is up to you.

The H100 provides great cooling. If you intend to do some serious over clocking, it's the best. If OC'ing is not a priority, then go with the H80, or air, like a Noctua D-14.

GTX 680? I was unaware this card even existed, I will definitely sink an extra bill into this baby. Should I invest in some extra cooling specifically for this card?

If the i5-3750k will handle this card AND my next card without bottlenecking my rig, I will definitely stay at that. Like I said, I mostly game, and I will probably build an entirely new rig before I'd go through 2 more videocard upgrades. I definitely plan to overclock, though I am still amateur to overclocking so I don't plan to overdo it. I wanted to try the H80 because I've never tried liquid cooling and it seemed like a decent first step toward that whole world. Is it worth it over high-quality air cooling considering I don't plan to stress my machine that much?

Side note: I used the Antec 1200 Full Tower in my last build, I felt it was far more than I needed, but considering space (to put the computer) and price aren't an object, should I go for another Antec1200 for the extra cooling, or will the Antec900 provide more than enough space(inside)/cooling? (I also know that I won't have any wiring issues with the Antec1200+CORSAIR850W because I've used them both). Although my last Antec1200's front ports were completely non-functional.

Last edited:
You should consider the Antec 1100. That case looks really nice and they address some of the shortcomings of the older gaming cases.

Gamers use full-tower cases. Check out the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced or the HAF X -- great cases with great airflow/cooling (none better). Yes, the i5-3750 will do. For mild to moderate overclocking the H80 is a good choice.

Gamers use full-tower cases. Check out the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced or the HAF X -- great cases with great airflow/cooling (none better). Yes, the i5-3750 will do. For mild to moderate overclocking the H80 is a good choice.

Okay, so I'm currently considering the following 4 cases:

Antec 1100 $100
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced $160
Cooler Master HAF X $187

Keep in mind the "no-budget, but no-waste" philosophy from the rest of my build. Anybody have input on these cases? Preferably with experience with some/all of them. I've used the Antec 1200 and was very pleased, however I have also been pleased with Cooler Master products though.

I'm falling in love with the HAF X just looking at it though. Looks like my Antec 1200 but dressed up in battle armor. Is that a goddamn 230mm fan on the FRONT? It looks like it has 2x 200mm fans on the top, but the specs only say 1? Is the other spot something else, or just a spot to mount an additional 200mm fan?

EDIT: I'm sold on the HAF X. I don't even need input unless somebody has a reason I shouldn't buy this beauty.

Last edited:
CURRENT CHOICES/CONSIDERATIONS:

CASE: Cooler Master HAF X ~ $190
PSU: CORSAIR TX850 V2 850W PSU ~ $135
CPU: Intel core i5-3750k Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 ~ $230
CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H80 ~ $100
MOBO: GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 ~ $130
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GTX 680 2GB ~ $500
MEMORY: 12GB (3 x 4GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 SDRAM @ 1600 MHz ~ $80
HARD DRIVE: MUSHKIN Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD ~ $190
OPTICAL DRIVE: LITE-ON CD-R/DVD-R DRIVE ~ $20

TOTAL: ~ $1575 + tax

The most I want to budget on this project is $2000.

My current thoughts:
CASE: Love the HAF X, looking for input on anybody who owns/owned this case.
PSU: Satisfied.
CPU: Satisfied.
CPU COOLER: H80, H100, or a high-quality air cooler? I plan to moderately overclock, nothing insane.
MOBO: Motherboards are outside my comfort zone other than compatibility, can anybody take a look and let me know if it's a good choice?
GPU: GTX 680 will spit out anything I throw at it, but I just finished convincing myself to buy the 670 over the 660ti.
MEMORY: Satisfied.
HARD DRIVE: Satisfied.
OPTICAL DRIVE: Satisfied.

BUDGET: Hurts, but satisfied.

I'm thinking maybe I should make a separate thread for the closed-loop water cooling VS high-quality air cooling debate?

Last edited:

+1 This sums it up...

The HAF 932 Advanced, or HAF X are both excellent choices. I prefer the HAF 932 Advanced because you can remove the single 230mm side panel fan, and replace it with 4x120 R4 fans as I've done. Photos below. Provides tons of air flow, which is critical when using powerful graphics cards, and over clocking.

As far as your CPU cooling is concerned, go with the H100, if you think you may want high over clocks. The H80, if you will never want more than a moderate over clock, or the D-14 if you decide on air.

Just remember, if you go with a large air cooler, to make certain that it will clear the high heat sink fins on your memory.

Attachments

• 4x120mm Fans outside panel.jpg
    4x120mm Fans outside panel.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom