How much do you tip?

What tipping plan do you follow?

• I follow the 10%-15%-20 plan

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I follow some other plan

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I don't follow any plan. I pay what I feel like.

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
I'm a big believer in paying for what I get. If the service is slow, and the server acts like he/she is doing me a favor even waiting on my table, I've been known to leave as little as 25 cents. I purposely leave a quarter, rather than nothing, to insure that the server knows I didn't forget, the quarter represents what I think their service was worth.

On the other hand, if the server is cheerful which adds to the enjoyment of my meal, and his/her service was excellent, I'll leave as much as 30%.

In fact, I wish we could go back to how the TIP (To Insure Performance), was originally administered.

A person when first sitting down to a table would put money in the middle of the table so the server could clearly see it. As the meal progressed, the patron would add/remove/leave the money, so the server could see if the patron was satisfied or not. The server had a running status on his/her performance.
I find it sad a person who has to suck up to make money.....
No offense to you Hameister but this is how I see it from my perspective.

I'm glad we don't have tipping here in australia.

I find it sad a person who has to suck up to make money.....
No offense to you Hameister but this is how I see it from my perspective.

I'm glad we don't have tipping here in australia.

Frankly, I'd rather the servers be paid a decent wage, and I'd be happy to pay a little more for the food, and have no tipping. In that respect we agree.

However, you have the wrong perspective about "sucking up". No customer in a restaurant expects the servers to "suck up". We just expect good, prompt service, with a smile. And we get it 80% of the time. Perhaps 10% of the time the service is exceptional, and 10% is very poor.

Most folks I know, tend to be generous with tips, because most of us worked as waiters, or bus boys, for extra money when we were young, and we remember how hard it was.

Frankly, I'd rather the servers be paid a decent wage, and I'd be happy to pay a little more for the food, and have no tipping. In that respect we agree.

However, you have the wrong perspective about "sucking up". No customer in a restaurant expects the servers to "suck up". We just expect good, prompt service, with a smile. And we get it 80% of the time. Perhaps 10% of the time the service is exceptional, and 10% is very poor.

Most folks I know, tend to be generous with tips, because most of us worked as waiters, or bus boys, for extra money when we were young, and we remember how hard it was.
Sorry I should not have used that suck up phrase but a persons wage should not be supplemented by tipping and judged by the customer....either you are capable or not capable of doing your job and the responsibility of service should be management.

Any how I'm not going to say any more as we do not have this system in our country much to the contrary of some businesses trying to introduce it for the wrong reasons here.

As you might guess I'm very unionized person and hold strong beliefs for workers rights & principles, don't get me wrong but I'm also a capitalist. lol

Last edited:
I usually tip in accordance to the quality of service I receive. Some places have staff that serve you like they are doing you a favor, in these cases I do not tip at all. The other extereme is staff that have a constant fake smile and obvious forced bonhomie. In this case I tip in accordance to the quality of the food and the speed of service.

Back
Top Bottom