Cpu working too hard

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place, I have had some problems with my cpu overheating, had a constant ringing sound while playing civ 4, when I turned it off I found the cpu stuck to the heat sink, spent a long time trying to sort cooling for it and then I started to wonder why the cpu is working so hard in the first place, it won't even browse the internet without the cpu fan going like the clappers, when I was in pc wizard it was showing each of the cores taking it's turn to go up to nearly 100%, in task manager an item called system idle process was taking nearly 100% as well, is it possible there is a virus causing this?

No. Before I even finished reading I was thinking I bet it's the System Idle Process. This is supposed to happen. Have a read here: Coding Horror: Why Is The System Idle Process Hogging All The Resources?

If the system is experiencing slowdowns or other issues it's unrelated to the System Idle Process.

Thanks for the reply, have you any idea's as to what could be causing the cpu to be working so hard, I can hear the fan over everything, also should each core be hitting nearly 100% in pc wizard? I'm not sure what is causing that

Last edited:
You've some task, that probably shouldn't be running, banging your CPU. Go into Task Manager and find the task using the most CPU. Then determine if it should even be running. If not, either go into msconfig and stop it from starting up, or delete the app.

Tried to paste a print screen of my task manager but it was too big to fit in, but there aren't any processes other than the one mentioned that say they take up any more than about 1-2

I did try to look for the process that had the most CPU usage, they all showed practically nothing in task manager apart from system idle process, yet in PC wizard it was showing tons of activity, while trying to type my last reply Firefox repeatably froze.

Hmmm, what antivirus/malware product you using?

Also, download SysInternals from Microsoft and check out "autoruns". It can bore deeply into processes/tasks and might give you a better picture of what's going on.

Ok, that is really strange. What are your system specs?

Edit: More specifically, what processor are you using?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20ghz 4GB Corsair DDR3 Gigabyte motherboard GA-880GMA-UD2H AMD Radeon HD 6450 cit 750 watt psu Samsung spinpoint 1tb H.D.D, Cooler Master Silencio 550 case

Probably didn't need all that information but I just copied and pasted it

Back
Top Bottom