Tha Real Noob (need advice please)

hardhead1

Baseband Member
I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Raised a family, worked the same job for 30 years and now retired. I've tried to learn what I could along the way about computers but everything advances so fast I don't have enough knowledge to keep up. So since I have a little time now I thought I would come here and try to pick up on some things.

I recently got a new computer (HP-PC1241) and its fine but I am wondering if those PC optimizer's would prove beneficial to someone like me that has limited computer knowledge to keep my computer running efficiently. I am specifically looking at IOLO System Mechanic 11, since I could get it for 14.95 if I do it today. Anyone have any comments on PC utilities, or on this particular one?

I am searching and trying to pick up what I can but your input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the ComputerForums

Enjoy your stay with us.

I've never used System Mechanic so can't comment.

However, with a commercial PC the main thing you need to worry about is Viruses, Malware, etc. The best FREE way to do that is by installing Microsoft Security Essentials: Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
and be sure to turn on the Win 7 built-in firewall.

Probably won't need any paid for utilities. As a further example, and if your system is using an HDD, the Win 7 HDD defragmentation utility should be ran at least once a week.

Are you experiencing any issues now?

Thank you Wiz, am having no problems. Using Kaspersky for virus protection. My main concern is having the computer operate as efficiently as possible. With my satellite connection it's slow at night for some reason. I figure maybe its the number of people online. I just thought there may be programs running that really are not needed that could be eliminated and speed it up some, and I'm not sure which ones are needed and which are not. I thought using the System Mechanic would help me with that. I'm afraid it might shut down a program that is needed though.

welcome. ask me if you need any assistance :)

Thanks. I'm just trying to make sure my PC performs as it should. I see there is a sticky on windows XP . I am running 7 and want to clean up some of the programs that are running and not really needed. Thought a utility such as S.M. might help, but as I said before, I'm a little leery of these utilities.

Welcome, it's nice to see an older dude like myself every so often.

While I've been around forums for some time, I am also new to this particular site. In the short time I've been here, I have formed an opinion regarding OhSnapWord, OS-Wiz, and Celegorm. They are all knowledgeable, courteous and helpful. You can call on anyone of them, as well as myself.

Now, as far as your concern about unwanted software, wasting disc space, and slowing things up, I certainly understand. That annoys me as well. I recently purchased a new Sony laptop, that came with about 12GB of useless garbage, trialware, shareware, and crippleware.

Here's my solution to that issue. Go to HP's website. Download all the required drivers, and software for your machine. Store the data some place like a USB flash drive.

Next format your HDD, and install a clean virgin copy of Win7. Then, install from that thumb drive, only the drivers and software needed for your computer.

Then update Win7 with all the latest OS updates.

Next, install only the software that you want! When you're all done, the machine is lean, clean, and running as fast as it can.

I appreciate it Ham, but the only thing I could relate to there was "clean virgin" and at my age I'm not sure what I would do with that either! :D

I appreciate it Ham, but the only thing I could relate to there was "clean virgin" and at my age I'm not sure what I would do with that either! :D

Hee, I hear ya! Well, it's really a fairly easy process. Give it some thought, and if you decide to do what I suggested, any one of us can walk you through it.

In the meantime...

Attachments

• welcome.gif
    welcome.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom