HIS 6870 fan dying

aimforthehead

Solid State Member
About a day ago my gpu started making a struggling sound and it seems to be the fan. It's a light rattly noise, I'm pretty sure it's dying.

It's only over a year old, but I generally run my fan at around 60-70%, I was told by almost everywhere that it wouldn't harm the gpu in anyway and would only make it last longer since it would stay cooler, but could that be the reason my fan died?

Also, any suggestions to fixing it? My warranty is over, so I am considering selling this one for a low price (of course letting the buyer know, so only to someone who could fix it) and buying an Asus 7870. I'd buy a new fan but I've never messed with GPU's before and I'd be afraid of breaking something even more..

Last edited:
Are any "lose" blades on the fan?

Or the fan could be a bit faulty since it was made.

Is your GPU getting a bit overheated and the fan can't seem to cool it fast enough?

No, the fan seem to be working perfectly aside from the minor noise, including the blades. Temperatures are as good as ever (never go above 60c under load, idle is about 35-37c).

That's what I was hoping you guys could help me out with :)
I don't know enough about them to mess with it, but maybe HIS will, I'll try and contact them.

There should be screws that hold the stock heatsink on the GPU. Remove those and you can gently remove the heatsink. Remove all thermal paste from the GPU.

You can get a new heatsink from Newegg. Apply new thermal paste if the new one doesn't come pre-applied.

Back
Top Bottom