first custom gaming pc build

You may want to wait for OhSnap, or a few others to jump in with their opinions, they may think of something better. I don't think you can wrong with the 3570k.

There is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to processors. Granted, a $200 CPU is much better than a $100 CPU. However a $500 CPU isn't much better than a $200 CPU when it comes to real world gaming performance.

A prime example is the 3930K vs the 3960X. Both offer similar performance but the 3960X is about $450 more than the 3930K.

In my opinion, the i5-3570K is the go to processor for gaming. You won't find much of anything that offers better bang for the buck.

There is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to processors. Granted, a $200 CPU is much better than a $100 CPU. However a $500 CPU isn't much better than a $200 CPU when it comes to real world gaming performance.

A prime example is the 3930K vs the 3960X. Both offer similar performance but the 3960X is about $450 more than the 3930K.

In my opinion, the i5-3570K is the go to processor for gaming. You won't find much of anything that offers better bang for the buck.

I couldn't agree more, and it's only around $225.00 the last time I looked, so there's two opinions right there Mr. BadReligion83.

Hameister said:
I couldn't agree more, and it's only around $225.00 the last time I looked, so there's two opinions right there Mr. BadReligion83.

Damn insomnia anyways thanks for the input on this. So far I've gotten the case, power supply, and processor picked out. All that's left is the motherboard, memory, hard drive and gpu. Right? Or am I forgetting something?

Damn insomnia anyways thanks for the input on this. So far I've gotten the case, power supply, and processor picked out. All that's left is the motherboard, memory, hard drive and gpu. Right? Or am I forgetting something?

The optical drive! You'll need one of those.

Let's work on the motherboard next. As always we need to start with your budget.

Like I said damn insomnia :). The budget is between $100 and $150 but as always feel free to disagree
Anyways here is what I was looking at for the motherboard

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Nope, that's a Z68 board. You want a Z77 chip set board like this...

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

It's a very popular mobo, and within your price range. If you have an aversion to Asus for some reason we could look at another brand. I have always found them to be very reliable motherboards, but there are others of course.

Hameister said:
Nope, that's a Z68 board. You want a Z77 chip set board like this...

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

It's a very popular mobo, and within your price range. If you have an aversion to Asus for some reason we could look at another brand. I have always found them to be very reliable motherboards, but there are others of course.

Nope got nothing against Asus :) from the research I've done they seem to be the way to go for the price, which is right where I wanted it. This one is better than the one I pick, but what's the difference between the two?

Hameister said:
The Z68 vs. the Z77 chip sets. Remember, I suggested that you research your questions, you'll learn and retain more that way. Google anything you want to know.

You can start here... Z68, Z77, and H77 – What's the difference? | Puget Systems Blog

Yeah no excuses I'll admit I'm a little lazy sometimes but I'll do more in the future. Thanks for the link.

Speaking of research I'm guessing that the next item, since all the big things are out of the way, is going to be memory? Here is what I came up with:

For the main hard drive, I wanted to go ssd just because of the speed and a regular hdd for storage.

Ssd:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164

Hdd:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

The main reason I want an ssd and a hdd is due to the fact that most of the research I've done says that you use the ssd for the os and the hdd for storage. I had originally wanted to go with 2 ssds' but thought that would be a little too much overkill for what I want to do.

Back
Top Bottom