How can I tell what CPU is better than another by its' model number?

ThePcGamer

Solid State Member
I researched a little with CPU's, and I can't seem to figure out how certain CPU's are better than others. I can understand GPU's just fine, they're pretty simple - but cpu's....gah.
For example, I was searching about my e5300 and an e6400 and I clicked on this forum. Pretty much everyone said the e5300 was slightly better than the e6400. I have a small idea how, but I'm not totally sure still.
I understand the 45nm die vs. 65nm die, and the difference in the overall processing speed, but if the e5300 is better then why is it so much of a lower number? I just like learning about CPU's, gpu's and pretty much any computer component in general, so I'm not criticizing or anything, I just want to learn about computers more.

If you answer (without using destructive nonsense), then I thank you. =)

The answer is simple. You can't.

Generally speaking, with modern CPUs, the higher the number, the more powerful the CPU is.

If you are ever unsure, just ask.

Here's my thoughts. When ever you wish to determine which CPU out performs another, just go to Intel's, or AMD's spec sites. There you will find all the specifications for every processor they make.

I know, the specs can sometimes be difficult to read, and confusing, which means you'll need to read, and research more. It's always easier to come to a forum site, and ask a bunch of people their opinion. The problem with that is, the simple fact that some people will give you valid, and accurate information, while others spout pure nonsense, and can be very misleading. Your own research will always be accurate.

As OhSnapWord said, with modern processors it's usually just dependant on the numbers (i.e. I5-3570k is better than the i5-3550)

However that doesn't always work. In my opinion the best way to find out is through benchmarks, or forums ( like us :) )

If you have any CPUs in mind which you would like to know which is better then just ask

To give you an idea how just looking at CPU model numbers doesn't work.

I have a new Intel 8088, but you wouldn't want it to run anything other than DOS.

And don't forget, trying to compare an AMD processor to an Intel processor is impossible by model numbers and you should only rely on benchmark comparisons. See: AnandTech - Bench - CPU for a reliable comparison across brands and within brands.

Back
Top Bottom