To 'Windows 8', or not to 'Windows 8?'

iPwn
This is no longer true in the final release. You can have the start button, but you're completely reverting to 7, you lose all Win8 enhancements.

I'm running Win 8 Enterprise x64 Build 9200 RTM, in other words, the one you'll see in Oct (I'm a Technet member) and there's NO start button. There are a couple 3rd party hacks available that will add a start button-like hack. See MaximumPC.com and you'll find an article indicating that Microsoft has no intention to bring the start button back.

Very wrong there. The kernel has changed... a lot. The hacking convention in July actually took a look at Win8 and how much it changed. They noticed many differences. This isn't like the iPad three that got a new screen, there are many changes under the hood.

There are a few superficial changes, e.g. a somewhat enhanced Task Manager, and some changes they were forced into because of the poor implementation of the GUI. It is a true nightmare trying to toggle back and forth from the desktop and GUI.

As far as performance, as you can see in my original attachment, my system is by no means slow. My experience index was bottle necked at my SSD. As noted above, there is a huge performance difference when playing Diablo 3 on highest settings. I am assuming though that this is due to the Catalyst suite that doesn't yet support Win8, more to come on that.

Well I prefer more strenuous benchmarks. Based on my benchmarks there's NO performance improvements, see post #395, page 10: Winders 8

Last edited:
I'm running Win 8 Enterprise x64 Build 9200 RTM, in other words, the one you'll see in Oct (I'm a Technet member) and there's NO start button. There are a couple 3rd party hacks available that will add a start button-like hack. See MaximumPC.com and you'll find an article indicating that Microsoft has no intention to bring the start button back.

You apparently missed the attachment above, I too am running the final release (Windows 8 Professional x64). With that being said, re-read what I posted, then read this:

Microsoft Will Allow Downgrades From Windows 8 to Windows 7, Vista | PCWorld

There are a few superficial changes, e.g. a somewhat enhanced Task Manager, and some changes they were forced into because of the poor implementation of the GUI. It is a true nightmare trying to toggle back and forth from the desktop and GUI.

I don't get what you're saying here... are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Either way, the pretty new interface was not the only change.

Well I prefer more strenuous benchmarks. Based on my benchmarks there's NO performance improvements, see post #395, page 10: Winders 8

Again, reread my post. I never said that Windows 8 was >< Windows 7. I stated that there were noticeable differences in a game that relies heavily on the drivers and GPU performance, the results were not conclusive, and I would be able to better judge any performance gains/losses when I had all the facts.

I guess Win8 will be like every other iteration of the OS.

Some will like it, and others won't.

Personally, I see nothing that excites me about Win8, and certainly nothing that would even tempt me to leave Win7, which is stable, and does everything I need very gracefully.

I think the attempt for a "one size fits all" approach, to an OS for cell phones, tablets, and PCs, is not going to be successful on all three platforms.

A few weeks ago while visiting a large Cell. phone store I was playing with a Windows phone. I asked the sales person how well the Windows phones were selling compared to the Android phones. He chuckled, and said, "we sell maybe 5% of our phones with Windows". I asked why, and he said, "people hate the interface".

So at least in my area, it seems they are not selling well at all.

Frankly, I wouldn't part with the Android 4.0.3 ICS OS on my tablet, I love it.

I have been wondering about windows 8 but from what people have said it's not to good, I don't have tablets or smart phones, only desktop and a laptop if I am forced to use it, on another note I'm sorry this bit is off topic but ssc456 that's the first time I have actually laughed at someone's signature, I nearly spat half my porridge out!

We need to wait for long time to see the result of win 8. Most of the people still learning how to use win 7 properly. And windows 8, i think it will take 3-4 years to become familiar for general computer user.

What I don't like is the way MS is pushing Metro down our collective throats. There should have been an option to enable the Win7 style Start Menu and Taskbar. The reason MS didn't include it IMO is to force everyone towards the new interface, and a lot of us hate to be forced.

MS knows that for future new users Win8 will be their only point of reference. Kids will pick it up and they'll know nothing different. If there was to be an easy option to revert the interface to the old Win7 style then a lot of experienced users would switch back because that's what they know; then they would teach their kids to use a computer in the old way that they are comfortable with. MS doesn't want that, hence the lack of choice.

Personally I'll use Win7 for as long as possible...

I don't miss the Start button in Windows 8, don't use it in Win 7 either. I've been using Win 8 as installed with no tweaks or hacks and it works fine.

Whether Win 8 is successful or not, I think the Start button is gone for good and won't reappear in Win 9 or whatever the follow on OS is so people need to get used to it.

Actually, its a fair argument to make that Windows 8's success (or lack thereof) will have a profound effect on whether or not the Start button makes an appearance in Windows 9.

It's very possible that Windows 8 will be Microsoft's "New Coke". Sometimes even massive companies make mistakes, and revert to old ways (as I expect Apple might do with Maps on iPhones soon; consumer backlash very easily sways corporate interests).

I'm not saying Windows 8 will be another "New Coke" fiasco. I haven't even used it, so I have no opinion. Just pointing out the naivety of claiming the Start button may be gone for good when we haven't even seen the public's reaction to the changes yet.

Last edited:
I think that there is no question regarding the 'success' of Win8. The thing will be pre-installed in all upcoming new PCs, and as I said before it will be the first and sole point of reference for young kids and all those new PC users worldwide who haven't used a computer before.

Existing power users may reject it initially, but in the long run they will be forced to accept it as it is, use a third-party software solution that recreates the Start menu, or switch to a different OS altogether. It is not a case of 'if', it's just a case of 'when'.

Lets face it, Win8 will still be the mainstream choice, no matter what. Users are then presented with the following choices:
  1. Remain with Win7 for as long as it is relevant and supported.
  2. Switch to Win8, with or without a software that recreates the Start menu.
  3. Switch to a Linux distro.
  4. Go the Apple way. (Infamy! Infamy!) :)

Wait until at least SP1 and see his it improves.

I'll stick to Windows 7 and Linux personally. I have sampled Windows 8 and didn't like it at all.

Back
Top Bottom