first custom gaming pc build

Modular power supplies are also desirable because any unused cables can be removed from the case making for a neater install.

Well, you really have to think about the CPU next, because the CPU always determines which motherboard you need for it, not the other way around.

First, how much is in your budget for a processor?

Second, what will be the primary use for this computer, Net surfing, Cad work, gaming, folding? Give us an idea of what kind of applications you intend to use on a regular basis. __________________

I would say the motherboard over the CPU. The motherboard is the backbone of the system and will determine almost all of the features the system will have.

Sure he can choose a MB first, but he's very new to this. Where would he begin? He might choose an LGA 1366 board, or a 775. There are so many sockets, and chipset platforms out there.

That's why I thought it made more sense for him to tell us what this machine will be used for, then choose a state of the art CPU in his price range, and then a MB for it.

But, if he chooses the MB first that can be done as well.

Makes sense. The two mainstream CPU sockets right now are LGA 1155 and Socket AM3+. Either of those platforms will offer the most modern features.

Hameister said:
Well, you really have to think about the CPU next, because the CPU always determines which motherboard you need for it, not the other way around.

First, how much is in your budget for a processor?

Second, what will be the primary use for this computer, Net surfing, Cad work, gaming, folding? Give us an idea of what kind of applications you intend to use on a regular basis. __________________

The processor budget is the most, and from what I've seen I'm looking at $200 - $300 ( if that's too much feel free to disagree)

The PC will be used mainly for gaming and watching the odd movies that aren't on Netflix

I was looking at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071

That's a fine choice if you never intend to over clock. If however, you do think that you may want to over clock some time in the future, you should buy the i7 2600K, not the 2600 because the "K" series is unlocked, and far easier to over clock.

You may also want to consider the i5 line of Ivy Bridge such as the i5 3570K, it cost a lot less, is also over clockable, is a newer CPU, and will serve you very well.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Makes sense. The two mainstream CPU sockets right now are LGA 1155 and Socket AM3+. Either of those platforms will offer the most modern features.

Yup agreed!

Hameister said:
That's a fine choice if you never intend to over clock. If however, you do think that you may want to over clock some time in the future, you should buy the i7 2600K, not the 2600 because the "K" series is unlocked, and far easier to over clock.

You may also want to consider the i5 line of Ivy Bridge such as the i5 3570K, it cost a lot less, is also over clockable, is a newer CPU, and will serve you very well.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

As far as over clocking goes. I'll be honest: I have no clue how to do it, much less the benefits of it. The link you suggested looks better than the one I picked.

Back
Top Bottom