New graphics card...

Matfield

Beta member
Hi guys,

This is going to be a long post, but I will try to get as detailed as possible in order to get the best possible help.
I'm fairly new to the forum, but I really need some help here. The other day I bought a new graphics card for my desktop. I deleted the driver for my current graphics card, turned off the computer and installed the new graphics card. When I turn on the computer it shows the blue HP start up screen and then proceeds to a black screen with a vertical white cursor blinking in the upper left corner. Then nothing happens from there.
My computer is an HP Pavillion a6621sc. The motherboard is an MS-7525 (Boston). More specifications on the PC and motherboard here: Product specifications HP Pavilion a6621sc Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
The graphics card I have bought is an EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP), more info about the graphics card here: ASUS - Graphics Cards- ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP)

I know that my motherboard only has a PCI Express x16 and that the graphics card is made for a PCI Express 2.0, but that should only limit my use of the card, not prohibit it. I have also tried to leave the old driver on the computer and then put the new card in, but with the same result.

Anyone who have an idea what might be my problem?

Cheers,
Kristian

Disconnect all external devices from the computer except the monitor. Power up your computer and see if it boots. If it does, reconnect your external devices one at a time until you can't boot the machine.

Sometimes a malfunctioning USB device could cause that.

I have a USB 2.0 PCI card with a "internal" USB female connecter. I have a flash drive as my c:\ so I dont take up around 2 billion bits of space on my HDD.

I would not want to use it for the page file lol. :hide:

Disconnect all external devices from the computer except the monitor. Power up your computer and see if it boots. If it does, reconnect your external devices one at a time until you can't boot the machine.

Sometimes a malfunctioning USB device could cause that.

I tried your suggestion, still didn't work. I just figured the problem 5 minutes ago. Here's the thing. The BIOS update for HP that is newer than my qurrent BIOS specifically says: "Improves compatibility with Nvidia GeForce G210 graphics card". My machine is so old that it was born with Vista. I did not update my BIOS before installing Windows 7 and HP's latest BIOS update is OS related and made for Vista, so I can't install it on my machine since it now runs Windows 7. I could of course boot Vista from a USB or another harddisk or something like that, but I find it easier to return the graphics card and buy another one which is NOT an Nvidia GeForce G210.

Thanks for troubleshooting!

Back
Top Bottom