first custom gaming pc build

As far as the case goes I was looking to spend between $50 and $100 and the HAF 932 goes for $159.99 on new egg. I've been looking around and I am liking this one: in win mana 134 let me know what you guys think.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

I've got no idea where all this came from but I'm relatively new to this site. Anything to do with old blood?
For a mid-tower case, the case you picked looks fine.

Not old blood, just bad advise!

I would go closer to 600-750. This way you have a nice foundation if you decide you want to upgrade.

OhSnapWord said:
I would go closer to 600-750. This way you have a nice foundation if you decide you want to upgrade.

Ahh good idea! See this is why I'm here! Now what about certification? Does it really make that big a difference between having a regular 80+ certified and a 80+ gold certified?

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

OS-Wiz said:
For a mid-tower case, the case you picked looks fine.

Not old blood, just bad advise!

Yeah I don't want any of that. Although I know this is life and mistakes are bound to happen, I'd like to avoid the costlier ones if I can.

And yeah I will admit I'm basing it partly on aesthetics.

Almost all PSUs are 80+ certified. This means that the PSU will have at least 80% efficiency at given loads.

The reason this is important to you is that the more efficient a power supply is, the more power it is capable of delivering to your components and conversely, the less power is being wasted as heat.

80+ Gold means that the PSU's minimum efficiency is 87% at a given load, meaning that at most 13% of the power is wasted as heat.

A more efficient power supply will throw off less heat and be quieter than a less efficient one. It will also be easier on the electric bill.

Almost all PSUs are 80+ certified. This means that the PSU will have at least 80% efficiency at given loads.

The reason this is important to you is that the more efficient a power supply is, the more power it is capable of delivering to your components and conversely, the less power is being wasted as heat.

80+ Gold means that the PSU's minimum efficiency is 87% at a given load, meaning that at most 13% of the power is wasted as heat.

A more efficient power supply will throw off less heat and be quieter than a less efficient one. It will also be easier on the electric bill.

Once again, sound advice from OhSnap! I would also suggest about 750 watts if you have no intention of using anything but a single graphics card. If you think you may want to play with overclocking or SLI down the road, then you should be looking for at least 1kw. Don't forget that power supplies deteriorate over the first few years as caps and other components are stressed, so you always want at least 25% head room.

Also, I'd suggest staying with the quality name brands, like Corsair, Antec, Silverstone. Avoid the bargain brands, that PSU is the very heart of your new system!

Hameister said:
Once again, sound advice from OhSnap! I would also suggest about 750 watts if you have no intention of using anything but a single graphics card. If you think you may want to play with overclocking or SLI down the road, then you should be looking for at least 1kw. Don't forget that power supplies deteriorate over the first few years as caps and other components are stressed, so you always want at least 25% over head.

Also, I'd suggest staying with the quality name brands, like Corsair, Antec, Silverstone. Avoid the bargain brands, that PSU is the very heart of your new system!

OK question time! What does sli stand for? And yes I will be running a single middle to high end graphics card. I'm looking at spending $75-$100 on the power supply. Is this overkill or standard?

OK question time! What does sli stand for? And yes I will be running a single middle to high end graphics card. I'm looking at spending $75-$100 on the power supply. Is this overkill or standard?

SLI means Scalable Link Interface. I doubt you want to know what that means, because it's really boring stuff, ha!

Standard pricing maybe slightly higher for top of the line.

Also i'm thinking that since this is my first build and I'm doing it by myself ( physically anyways :) ) I should go modular. Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Hameister said:
SLI means Scalable Link Interface. I doubt you want to know what that means, because it's really boring stuff, ha!

Standard pricing maybe slightly higher for top of the line.

You would be amazed I'm a huge nerd and love tech so feel free to explain if you want!

Also i'm thinking that since this is my first build and I'm doing it by myself ( physically anyways :) ) I should go modular. Thoughts?

That's a matter of personal choice. Some folks don't like modular, because there is always a very small chance of the connectors oxidizing slightly over time, which could cause intermittent connections. It's most the major players in the over clocking world that object to modular design.

For me personally, I think they are great! Why? Because when necessary, (about once or twice a year), you can just remove all the connectors, and then remove the PSU from the chassis for cleaning. Real EZ! That's impossible to do with a hard wired supply.

I never worry about intermittent modular connections, because even if that should happen, all you'd need to do is remove and replace each connector a few times, and the "wiping" action will clean them.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

SLI is an Nvidia term, while CrossFire is the equivalent for AMD.

If you're really interested, this article will save me a lot of typing.

SLI and Crossfire Explained

Hameister said:
That's a matter of personal choice. Some folks don't like modular, because there is always a very small chance of the connectors oxidizing slightly over time, which could cause intermittent connections. It's most the major players in the over clocking world that object to modular design.

For me personally, I think they are great! Why? Because when necessary, (about once or twice a year), you can just remove all the connectors, and then remove the PSU from the chassis for cleaning. Real EZ! That's impossible to do with a hard wired supply.

I never worry about intermittent modular connections, because even if that should happen, all you'd need to do is remove and replace each connector a few times, and the "wiping" action will clean them.

Good info, thanks! As far as the power supply I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Hameister said:

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

SLI is an Nvidia term, while CrossFire is the equivalent for AMD.

If you're really interested, this article will save me a lot of typing.

SLI and Crossfire Explained

Thanks I'll definitely give this a read tonight

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Never mind about that power supply. I didn't read close enough before posting. Its not modular.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

This one seems better
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139030

Back
Top Bottom