First Gaming Build under $2000 - please help

Interesting discussion. Even though you disagree, you're both trying to lead me in the right direction, and I appreciate it.

A second video card is not something I'm going to want or need anytime soon. The only immediate difference it will make is possibly a more expensive PSU. Right now I'm mostly concerned about having compatible parts and getting the most for my money.

Do you guys think that if I'm getting a GTX 670, I might as well get a 680 instead?

What is everyone's favorite CPU cooler? I'm a little reluctant to do water cooling. I'd rather have a nice fan, if that will do the job. Like I mentioned before, I'm not going to be overclocking the processor to its limit, just halfway.

I don't think it's anything to do with his card that makes him stutter, it'll be your updates, such as netframe or c++ visuals files corrupt, this is what can make any game stutter, depends what the game uses.

Interesting discussion. Even though you disagree, you're both trying to lead me in the right direction, and I appreciate it.

A second video card is not something I'm going to want or need anytime soon. The only immediate difference it will make is possibly a more expensive PSU. Right now I'm mostly concerned about having compatible parts and getting the most for my money.

Do you guys think that if I'm getting a GTX 670, I might as well get a 680 instead?

What is everyone's favorite CPU cooler? I'm a little reluctant to do water cooling. I'd rather have a nice fan, if that will do the job. Like I mentioned before, I'm not going to be overclocking the processor to its limit, just halfway.
My favourie CPU Cooler is the Noctua NH-D14. It's very reliable, I've never seen anyone have any problems with it and it's also really quiet.

If it's not the Noctua NH-D14, I would pick the Cooler Master 212 Evo. The Noctua NH-D14 is better in some ways, but it's cheaper, still quite quiet and it does the job without any problems.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

I don't think it's anything to do with his card that makes him stutter, it'll be your updates, such as netframe or c++ visuals files corrupt, this is what can make any game stutter, depends what the game uses.
Trust me, it's to do with the cards, I see it happen all the time. All you do is take one card out and there you go, the stuttering is gone.

Not saying it happens to every gamer that decides to put GPU's in SLI/Crossfire, but it can happen.

Gamers don't need GPU's in SLI/Crossfire anyway unless they have multiple monitors, which for most people, that's not the case.

You must have not encountered a lot of experienced people then. :D

I must admit Mr. Accurate, your responses fascinate me. Just how much "experience", could you possibly have? You're 20 years old. Assuming that you built your first computer at the tender age of 15, you'd have a whole 5 years in this business.

I was building machines with 8088 processors, working with 300 baud modems, monochrome crt monitors, typing DOS commands, and 64kb of memory, before you were so much as a gleam in your dad's eye. :lol:

A very demanding Gamer will, of course, go with the 680. But if it stretches your budget too much then consider the new GTX 660 or 660 Ti.
For mild to moderate OC the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO will do just fine.

A very demanding Gamer will, of course, go with the 680. But if it stretches your budget too much then consider the new GTX 660 or 660 Ti.
For mild to moderate OC the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO will do just fine.

Yupper, agree, the 680 is top dog, well for this month anyway, ha!

But the performance on the 670 is close, so it's your call.

To STARIK:
I will just say that i am also against what Accurate says. so you can see we are 4 poeple against 1.
He is wrong about the 2500K CPU and he's hate against SLI is ridicules.

The i5-3570k is noticeable faster then the 2500k. The 2500k might overclock slightly better (and i do mean slightly), the end result will still be that the 3570k will smash the 2500k for only 20$ extra. Buy the 3570K, trust os. it's the better choice.

My thoughts on SLI and Crossfire:
I would not buy 2 cards for SLI at once because i "personally" don't need that much Horse power and i am concerned about the extra noise and heat.
however it might be a GREAT idea to add an extra card down the road when the card is getting older. instead of taking an 670 out and replacing it with the next 770, then buy an extra 670 (which would be cheaper at the time). that setup will be faster then a single 770.
SLI and Crossfire are awesome. it's for kick ass performance or for money saving when it's time to upgrade (by buying a cheaper soon to be outdated card for SLI).
And you should not see any stutter. i don't know where he gets it from.

For my favorite coolers: that would be the Hydro coolers from Corsair. i like the looks and the performance. I might buy an H80 soon. ^^

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom