First Gaming Build under $2000 - please help

@Starik,

Every forum has it's troll, and these forums have Accurate!

What he is saying just isn't so. I won't bother you with all the technical geek speak. Suffice to say that Micro-Stutter was an issue some time ago when specific hardware, driver, and software incompatibilities, caused the stuttering phenomenon. However, these days this is a rare issue. Literally everyone I know builds high end gaming computers, and no one has had this issue for the past 2 years.

I have built machines with a pair of GTX 280s, tri-sli GTX 460s, a pair of GTX 580s, friends have 580s, 680s, 570s, and 670s, and none of them have had a stutter issue....none!

Everything you're saying makes sense. No, I cannot agree with Accurate. It has now reached the point where the 2500k and the 3570k are about the same price.

The 3570k is made on a thinner die, produces less heat, and is Ivy Bridge architecture, vs. the older, lower performing, Sandy Bridge architecture of the 2500k, for the same price. Doesn't make any sense to me to purchase the 2500k when the price is the same, or very close.

For mild OC'ing the 212 will be just fine, but if you think you might really want to get into it, buy a better cooler.
The i5-2500k is about $20 cheaper in most countries. If the processors perform exactly the same, why spend an extra $20? Like I said in another post, there's no point in spending more for no reason, is there?

If he intends to overclock his CPU a lot in the future, the i5-2500k is definitely the better option since the Ivy Bridge heats up a lot more.

The heat for the Ivy Bridge is a huge drawback when overclocking. It allows the Sandy Bridge to hit much higher frequency's and effectively matching the performance levels of the Ivy Bridge.

SLI and Crossfire is great and offers unparalleled gaming performance. If you're a hardcore gamer using multiple displays, and want to game at uber-high resolutions and settings, absolutely go for a multi-GPU setup.

If you're a mainstream gamer, like about 80% of gamers out there, a single GTX 680 or 7970 would be more than adequate.

@Starik,

Every forum has it's troll, and these forums have Accurate!

What he is saying just isn't so. I won't bother you with all the technical geek speak. Suffice to say that Micro-Stutter was an issue some time ago when specific hardware, driver, and software incompatibilities, caused the stuttering phenomenon. However, these days this is a rare issue. Literally everyone I know builds high end gaming computers, and no one has had this issue for the past 2 years.

I have built machines with a pair of GTX 280s, tri-sli GTX 460s, a pair of GTX 580s, friends have 580s, 680s, 570s, and 670s, and none of them have had a stutter issue....none!
Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I had a system a few months ago where I tried to put Radeon 6950's in 2-way crossfire and most of the games I played, I experienced micro stuttering constantly.
Then, last year some time, I built a computer for my friend who insisted he wanted 2 GTX 580's in it, even though I told him it was a bad idea. But, I listened to him, built the system for him and then gave it to him, and then what happens? He stuttered in every single game he played.

It's not rare, it still happens. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does. You're better just sticking with one card instead of getting two and being the unlucky one.
Anyway, why would you need two cards? One GTX 680 can run any game on the highest settings possible.

@Accurate,

I suggest you read some reviews, and read the Intel white paper on both processors.

If you do, you will find that they do not perform the same, the Ivy Bridge out performs the Sandy Bridge architecture.

The only reason I could possibly see for buying a 2500k over a 3570k, would be if that $10~$20 difference in price is critical to you. If not, than it's penny wise, and pound foolish to buy the 2500k.

@Accurate,

I suggest you read some reviews, and read the Intel white paper on both processors.

If you do, you will find that they do not perform the same, the Ivy Bridge out performs the Sandy Bridge architecture.

The only reason I could possibly see for buying a 2500k over a 3570k, would be if that $10~$20 difference in price is critical to you. If not, than it's penny wise, and pound foolish to buy the 2500k.
If I can OC an i5-2500k to make it perform the EXACT same as the 3570k, why the hell would I spend $20 more, even if it is just $20?

Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I had a system a few months ago where I tried to put Radeon 6950's in 2-way crossfire and most of the games I played, I experienced micro stuttering constantly.
Then, last year some time, I built a computer for my friend who insisted he wanted 2 GTX 580's in it, even though I told him it was a bad idea. But, I listened to him, built the system for him and then gave it to him, and then what happens? He stuttered in every single game he played.

It's not rare, it still happens. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does. You're better just sticking with one card instead of getting two and being the unlucky one.
Anyway, why would you need two cards? One GTX 680 can run any game on the highest settings possible.

You do of course, have a right to your opinion. However, it is unfortunate that your opinion, (as I have seen on other threads), is often misleading to the OP who needs help. I have no idea what you do, or how you do it, when you build a computer. I can only say that my associates and I have no such issues, with the rare exception of a driver issue which is almost always cured with the next release.

Three, four, or more people often disagree with you but you steadfastly continue to provide partially correct, or completely incorrect information to the OP.

It is the OP, in this case Startik, who will have to sort out the truth from fiction. I would suggest you think about this Mr. Starik,...if Accurate is correct, why would so many people use SLI, or Xfire technology, if all they got for their time and money was stutter? Does that make sense to you?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

If I can OC an i5-2500k to make it perform the EXACT same as the 3570k, why the hell would I spend $20 more, even if it is just $20?

"Performance", relates to much more than just clock cycles, which is obviously something you just don't understand. You need to educate yourself regarding the architecture, which I've already mentioned about 3 times, and I will not discuss anymore. Starik, will have to just make up his own mind.

You do of course, have a right to your opinion. However, it is unfortunate that your opinion, (as I have seen on other threads), is often misleading to the OP who needs help. I have no idea what you do, or how you do it, when you build a computer. I can only say that my associates and I have no such issues, with the rare exception of a driver issue which is almost always cured with the next release.

Three, four, or more people often disagree with you but you steadfastly continue to provide partially correct, or completely incorrect information to the OP.

It is the OP, in this case Startik, who will have to sort out the truth from fiction. I would suggest you think about this Mr. Starik,...if Accurate is correct, why would so many people use SLI, or Xfire technology, if all they got for their time and money was stutter? Does that make sense to you?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

"Performance", relates to much more than just clock cycles, which is obviously something you just don't understand. You need to educate yourself regarding the architecture, which I've already mentioned about 3 times, and I will not discuss anymore. Starik, will have to just make up his own mind.
Okay, lets not get into an argument about this.

Just because you and your friends haven't experienced any of these issues doesn't mean they don't happen. I've seen a lot of people having issues with stuttering because of GPU's in SLI/Crossfire on the internet and in real life, that's why I recommend gamers only have one GPU.

You are like one of the only people that I've ever encountered that recommends gamers get GPU's in SLI/Crossfire.

I've heard from many experienced guys that SLI/Crossfire is not a good option for gamers and I've also experienced it myself with many systems.

Who should I believe, five men who are well experienced in what they do or one man on a computer forum that personally I don't think knows that well about computer systems?
I'm not trying to be rude or anything when I say that so don't take it the wrong way, I'm just saying, more people have experienced it than people that haven't, that's why I don't recommend it to anyone.

You are like one of the only people that I've ever encountered that recommends gamers get GPU's in SLI/Crossfire.

I've heard from many experienced guys that SLI/Crossfire is not a good option for gamers and I've also experienced it myself with many systems.

I recommend it to everyone who can afford it. My own experiences and theirs have all been nothing but good. To mirror your statement, you're the only "experienced" person I've ever seen recommend against it.

Back
Top Bottom