A good CPU upgrade from an E5300?

ThePcGamer

Solid State Member
I'm most likely not going to get another Mobo or anything considering I don't want to spend more than $100 for an upgrade.
I've found a new E5800 0ff Ebay for $64. Should I get that?
It seems pretty good. I'm also a gamer, so for the most part I won't need 3+ cores, just a cpu that can handle games better than what I've got. It's just annoying when I play something like Saints row, or BF3 and I get less than 25 FPS because of my CPU. Overclocking also isn't an option considering my motherboard.

A GT 440.
I'm pretty sure the bottleneck is my CPU. When I play something like Saint's Row, BF3, or Sleeping dogs it doesn't make hardly any difference at all between high and minimum settings.
GT 440's aren't high end by any means, but they get the job done, at least at minimum settings - but when I can't play saint's row any faster on the minimum settings (17-24 fps), that's when I started to look at my CPU.

The E5300/E5800 series processors are not all that different, they are both seriously aging CPUs. The GT 440 is a low end graphics card.

When you talk about state of the art games like BF3 or Crysis2, or MW3, you are really asking too much of both your video card, and your cpu.

In my opinion, you would be far better served by choosing a kit here...

CompUSA.com | GA-H61M-S2-B3 Bundle | GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 Intel 6 Series Mothe Bundle

Even something in the $300 to $400 range will far out perform your current system. You still will not be able to run a game like BF3 in all it's splendor, but with reduced setting it will run.

@Hameister, I know I could get a good computer overall for $300-$350 if I got a barebones kit and a good video card. I already know this, but I'm still very young and I don't have a job or anything. My birthday was recent and I do have enough to get something like an E5800, I was simply asking whether or not I should go ahead and get that or if there is a better option.
Also, my video card is pretty good for gaming, it's low end for this generation of video cards, but if it can play BF3 on high settings while still being playable, then I have to say it's a pretty good card. However, my CPU on the other hand, won't allow me to play games like that very smoothly. An e5800 may not be a great upgrade, but it most likely would allow me to play those games at 30+ FPS rather than below 20 FPS, which is what I'm looking for.
Also for some games like Alan wake, that kit in particular would actually make me lag more, having to resort back to my original video card. The GT 520 isn't nearly as good as a GT 440.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom