Graphics card problem(?)

Newb88

Beta member
hey Guys,

I built a rig about 4-5 months ago and everything was running smoothly until a couple weeks ago when while playing games the monitor goes black and a message comes up saying no signal. I can still hear the sounds of the game playing for a couple seconds than I get a buzzing or scraping sound which then itself subsides but the screen continues to just show a black screen. But the computer doesn't shut down, the fans are still running and led lights are still on.

I run a HIS amd Radeon 7970 VGA card, I have a Antec-HCG 620 cooling system + 3 addition fans, 2 120mms and 1 200mms. I have no idea what's wrong. it happens with games like Guild Wars 2 and Starcraft 2 but not with Fallout and Counter strike.

any solutions?

I've found that drivers are always problematic with AMD cards. Did recently change drivers? If not, have you tried the latest driver set for your card?

Another possibility is the GPU is overheating and locking up. Is the fan impacted with dust? There may be a number of possibilities here. Have you tried another PCI slot?

Thanks for your reply Hameister,

If it was teh PCI slot wouldn't that have been a problem of the computer from the beginning, this has only started happening in last couple weeks.

I updated and installed the latest driver for the Card via the AMD website and the problem is still occurring. Fans are not impacted by dust. The GPU overheating would perhaps explain what is going on...that would suck cause I was told by various people (including some on this site) that the amount of cooling and fans I had installed would suffice and not cause overheating of any of the elements.

I'll have to take it into the store I see what comes up.

I only suggested the PCI slot because occasionally a contact will go bad, or contacts will oxidize a little causing an intermittent condition. Have you at least tried removing and re-seating the graphics card?

Try a diffrent card, and if the problem still happens, it might be the motherboard. Is there any error messeges that popup before the BIOS loads the bootstrap (OS) loader. Hope this helps, please let me know how you go. I love to see people's problems fixed, and how.

sorry not sure I understand the tech speak...and I don't have a different card :(.

He's asking if you see any error messages, between the time you push the power button, and the time that Windows starts to load.

Also, pursuant to my previous post, did you try re-seating that graphics card?

No error messages. haven't had a chance Re-seat graphics card. Will try that before replying again, thanks so far for the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom