Leaving my PC Gaming Rig on should I?

Sorry for the double post, I cannot edit after a certain amount of time for some reason. Out of curiosity, what would happen if I didn't do anything about the battery and let it die? Would there be permanent damage? What would happen?

No, you'd have no physical damage from a dead CMOS battery, you'd simply lose your BIOS settings, Month, Day, Year, Time, boot order, things of that nature. It would make operating very frustrating.

Personally, I replace my CMOS battery about once a year, so it doesn't die on me when I least expect it.

Sometimes slow post times are due to the BIOS having a hard time recognizing a component. This could be due to a slowly failing component, bad cable, power supply issue, etc.

+1 ^

Very true, that's why I suggested re-installing the OS first, to insure that it's not a software issue, before troubleshooting further.

Also, if you have a lot of USB devices plugged it, it could take a bit of time for them all to initialize before POST.

Ok, Thank you everyone. I am going out now to buy it. I will edit this post and reply with the results.

Edit: One more thing. I remember reading somewhere that if you put the wrong CMOS battery inside the motherboard, then the slot can explode. Just to be cautious is that true?

Last edited:
First, it's just about impossible to install the wrong battery because the type of battery is stamped right on the battery itself. Like I said, it's probably a CR2032.

Second, just make sure that you are careful of polarity. Install the new battery + & -, in exactly the same way as the original.

Third, exploding battery sockets are rare, I haven't heard of one in months.

Hee, just kidding, I have NEVER heard of a CMOS battery, or socket, exploding!

First, it's just about impossible to install the wrong battery because the type of battery is stamped right on the battery itself. Like I said, it's probably a CR2032.

Second, just make sure that you are careful of polarity. Install the new battery + & -, in exactly the same way as the original.

Third, exploding battery sockets are rare, I haven't heard of one in months.

Hee, just kidding, I have NEVER heard of a CMOS battery, or socket, exploding!

I got it. No CMOS fail on boot. The computer started up in exactly 1 minute and 23 seconds. I timed it. One problem though. When I put the new battery in my hand I must have unplugged the power hdd to the hard drive. My computer displayed "Please insert correct media to boot and press a key." That scared me, but I figured out that I just disconnected it without realizing it. Although, my computer is running really well, I am going to reformat. I keep getting messages displaying that my files are corrupt. Errors. I can't even print screen because when try and save the paint file it says desktop corrupt. Anyways, time to re-format and save all my steam games. It is a damn good thing I keep all my steam games on my External Hard Drive. Everyone, thank you so much for the help.

Edit: What in the hell? I can save it now? I don't get it, I guess there is no need to reformat now. I swear, as much as I know about computers, there are times where I just don't understand them.

Corrupted:

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee414/Justin97927/?action=view&current=Huh.png

I am going to just restart my computer. Also, I know my time is wrong. I just fixed it now.

Edit 2: I restarted. There was a check for consistency on Volume C: Everything is running well now. Thank you everyone. I would have never figured this all out if I hadn't come here. Also, there is no reason to leave my computer on anymore as it starts up in just under a minute and a half. Sure every minute counts when it comes to getting back to school, and not being late for my next class. There is a huge difference in 4 minutes and 1 minute though. In that aspect, I should say.

Last edited:
When I played old final fantasy 11 I would.leave my laptop on constantly until finally the video card dropped out on me. I suggest putting it to sleep I left mine on all the time and it did not turn out so well.

Afternoon Electronics Delight!!!, Your Electronics Solution!!

I no longer have a reason to leave it on, but thanks for the advice. Since this whole CMOS Battery is resolved. My computer is perfectly normal. Thank you though.

Back
Top Bottom