Trojan

NoCoolNames

Baseband Member
Somehow got a trojan and it looks like it has wiped out our files,pics...however our Windows 7 has a screensaver feature which runs a slide show of our pics,to which the pics still show up in that but can't locate them anywhere else.
I also just noticed it looks like it wiped out all of our favorites,though again when I went to create a new folder it says it already exists...how can it exist when I can't find it?...

Let's start with some basics, so I can be sure your files are all backed up before suggesting anything.

Where do you keep your backed up files? Do you use Acronis? An external HDD? An separate internal HDD? USB thumb drive? Optical disc?

A common trick in infections is to hide the files and folders that users really love (like their pictures folder). If you set windows to show hidden files and folders you should see what's been "deleted" and be able to un-hide them.

Sorry to hear you don't back up. I cannot emphasize enough, the importance of backing up all your data. The question is not "if" you'll lose all your data, it's just a matter of "when".

You've been given the two suggestions above that I would have made. In the event you're not aware of how to handle celegorm's suggestion, just go to your Windows Explorer folder, and click on "tools" in the Menu Bar on top, then click on "Folder Options", and you'll be looking at this...

Attachments

• Desktop_2012_09_13_14_47_00_501.jpg
    Desktop_2012_09_13_14_47_00_501.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 5
Doing a search on *.JPEG, *.GIF, etc. might find them

No results for jpegs...gif had some things we can look into...

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

In the event you're not aware of how to handle celegorm's suggestion, just go to your Windows Explorer folder, and click on "tools" in the Menu Bar on top, then click on "Folder Options", and you'll be looking at this...

I didn't see a folder options,just internet options...

Ah you were in internet explorer and not windows explorer.

To get where Hameister intended for you to go, click the start menu then Computer. When that comes up, click the organize menu and then Folder and search options.

Back
Top Bottom