Adding RAM

OP said he had 6GB of RAM. It is safe to assume that it's a 64 bit OS. Especially if it came from an OEM.

You're probably correct, however, I never "assume" anything.

I learned a long time ago, that word assume, will often make an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

I've seen a number of Best Buy variety HP, and Compaq computers about 2 years ago, that came with 4 & 6GB of memory and a 32 bit Win7 OS. That's why I asked. They no longer do that. If his machine is a year old or less, it's certainly 64bit, but I don't know that either. That's why I made those comments.

You're probably correct, however, I never "assume" anything.

I learned a long time ago, that word assume, will often make an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

I've seen a number of Best Buy variety HP, and Compaq computers about 2 years ago, that came with 4 & 6GB of memory and a 32 bit Win7 OS. That's why I asked. They no longer do that. If his machine is a year old or less, it's certainly 64bit, but I don't know that either. That's why I made those comments.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I've seen OEMs do some pretty weird things.

It appears by Hameister's comments that he is seemingly intolerable of "newbies" that do not have a computer as a second head. Furthermore, I did submit in a post only 4 hours prior describing my OS and specs.

Anyhow, so I am relatively convinced of other statements that the most I would possibly utilize (with Win7 64-bit) is 4.5GB . . . what type of operations/programs/"MULTITASKING" would require MORE to run faster/smoother??? AND, why are computers coming with 16GB or more, or expandable to 64GB (or more)???

People have the mindset that more = better. Since memory is relatively cheap, OEMs can include more, claiming the machine is better than a similarly equipped machine, albeit with less RAM, to make more of a profit.

The amount of RAM one needs is dependent upon how they plan on using the computer.

If you're a heavy browser (having several windows open at the same time) and like to listen to music, 2-4GB of RAM is ideal.

If you're doing graphic editing, I would recommend 4-6GB of RAM. I wouldn't build a gaming rig on less than 8GB, although you can get away with some moderate gaming on 6GB of RAM.

There are few times when you would need more than 8GB of RAM. If you're running a server that supports a lot of users, more RAM is ideal. Also, if you like to use VMWare a lot, you would want a lot of RAM.

...It appears by Hameister's comments that he is seemingly intolerable of "newbies"...

It is unfortunate that you came to that conclusion, but I assure you there is no truth in that statement. In fact, I enjoy helping "newbies", when, and where ever, I can. That's why I'm here. As for your other post 4 hours ago, I didn't see it, simple. I don't see every post made on every forum, no one does. Please chill, and don't be so thin skinned.:)

People have the mindset that more = better. Since memory is relatively cheap, OEMs can include more, claiming the machine is better than a similarly equipped machine, albeit with less RAM, to make more of a profit.

The amount of RAM one needs is dependent upon how they plan on using the computer.

If you're a heavy browser (having several windows open at the same time) and like to listen to music, 2-4GB of RAM is ideal.

If you're doing graphic editing, I would recommend 4-6GB of RAM. I wouldn't build a gaming rig on less than 8GB, although you can get away with some moderate gaming on 6GB of RAM.

There are few times when you would need more than 8GB of RAM. If you're running a server that supports a lot of users, more RAM is ideal. Also, if you like to use VMWare a lot, you would want a lot of RAM.

+1 ^ Good advice!

I'm using 16GB of memory for one reason only. At the time I built this machine, Corsair was having a sale on a 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Vengeance kit for $74.99. It was so cheap, I loaded up. It could be years before I'd ever actually need that much. So far, I haven't yet saturated 5GB of memory.

If and only if RAM is the bottleneck.

Very true! ^

It's not unusual for people to have 6GB of memory, increase it to 16GB, and swear that their machine is much faster. If they ran some benchmarks they'd find that they're just imagining better performance.

Unless you are doing extremely memory intensive work, 6GB is more than enough.

Another big myth is memory speed. I've seen folks change out 1333MHz memory for 1600Mhz, or 1600MHz for 2100MHz, and swear that their computer is now screaming fast. In fact, if those differences in memory speed make a 2% to 3% difference in system performance it's a lot. And, with such small increases in performance, you'd be able to see it only in benchmarks.

Hameister . . . it is unfortunate that one cannot read the "tone" of one's message, as tone is so important in the message. It may have been your choice of words combined with my state of mind at the moment I read your comment, I do not know, however, will accept your advise graciously. Thank you.

On another note, should I open a new string re: 9-year old HP HD crash, and having reinstalled XP on a previously partitioned, newer HD, and now having only one problem related to the ATI Radeon graphics card???

Back
Top Bottom