Buy pre-built new or used desktop?

Floridag8tor

Beta member
So I am looking at desktops since mine is starting to really run slow when running multiple applications. I do not game but I do run multiple applications quite a bit. I have an opportunity to buy a custom built rig that is 3 yrs old for $300 shipped.

Current specs on the used rig I am looking to buy are

AMD x4 960 overclocked It scores 14kish 3dmark 06

ECS A780GM-A Ultra AM2+/AM3 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply

Small harddrive I think 80-120gb

EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Thermaltake CL-P0464 DuOrb 80mm CPU Cooler

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - 3 sticks

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black/Silver 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

Comes with windows 7 Utimate

I currently have have an Emachines T3266 pre-built computer
CPU: amd athlon XP3200 2.20Ghz
Motherboard- First international Computer
Memory- 1536 MB DDR RAM
Graphics-NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU 64 Mbytes
HDD- 75 GB Western Digital

What do you guys think? Should I buy this used computer or something brand new pre-built? Not really looking to spend more than $500 Any questions I should be asking about the used computer? I know the hard drive is kinda small but I'm sure I can upgrade to a 1 TB for around $70

For that price, you could get a barebones kit from Tigerdirect. It would have more modern hardware. You would need to get your own OS though.

For that price, you could get a barebones kit from Tigerdirect. It would have more modern hardware. You would need to get your own OS though.

+1 ^

My thoughts exactly. The machine you're thinking of buying is an aging piece of technology. I wouldn't pay more than $125.00 for it, at most.

Just last week CompUSA was running a sale on a complete kit for $299.00 that would out perform what you're thinking of buying.

If you haven't the expertise, or the time, to build your own, then definitely buy an OEM HP, or something similar, and spend the most you can afford. You'll get far better value.

It is a waste of money to buy this old and used computer. You can get a better PC within $500. just take look in market.

I hope you will find a better one in new.

best of luck for new computer.

Back
Top Bottom