Wondering what to buy/what i will need. (graphic design rig)

themeatree

Beta member
Hi, I'm intending to buy a computer. I'm interested in 3d modeling and character design and I will be doing a rather serious animation and design course and creating a portfolio. The tasks I will be required to do are things like 3d modeling, rendering and Photoshop drawing and maybe and bit of gaming on the side if i have time. The things I would like to know are what type of hardware I will be needing and what software? Should I get tablet with a display in it to go with a computer or should I get a computer with an inbuilt touch screen? Also as I side note I want this computer to last as in it won't become outdated to quickly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm not intending to built it I'm just wondering what type if hardware/software will I be looking for.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but a Mac Pro would be good for that.

oooohh :eek: not liking that. lol

I would say build around an Ivybridge I7 (3770k) and a top graphics card would depend on budget.

AMD (all oc'd)

2gb 7850 £175
2gb 7870 £225
3gb 7950 £250 (recommend) or
3gb 7970 £330 (recommend)

or nvidia (all oc'd) (not sure why im listing these ovepirced things. lol)

geforce gtx 660ti 2gb £250
geforce gtx 670 2gb £335

and then some 8gb 1600mhz dual channel ram. (or faster)

wow thanks for all the info i am going to have a look at a shop called dragon pc and maybe custom build one they charge $50 for the build. lol yeah i have to say as a past mac user that i much prefer windows.

Describing your computing needs, is of course important, but I couldn't suggest hardware without knowing your budget.

My suggestions for a machine with a limit of $600, would be entirely different than one on which you could afford to spend $3,000.

Go to this website... iBUYPOWER: Professional Series Workstations

I'm not in anyway promoting this site, or their brand. I'm suggesting it, because you say you are not going to build the machine yourself.

Here's an opportunity to see competitive pricing, and you can configure to your needs to bring a 3D modeling machine in at $2,000 or less by custom configuring, or use their suggestions, and just reducing the hardware to meet your budget.

Attachments

• Desktop_2012_09_10_08_45_38_693.jpg
    Desktop_2012_09_10_08_45_38_693.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1
thanks this showed me what kind of hardware i will need so i can shop around :) i think i can take it from here and again thanks for the help guys im sure to use this website again.

Back
Top Bottom