BOOTMGR missing

brillopad

Beta member
Friends-

Having a weird situation w/my son's laptop. Can you help? Below are the details.

Laptop:
Toshiba Satellite A305-S6916
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400/2 GHz
4 GB DDR2
320GB hard drive

Issue:
Crashed. Kept getting BOOTMGR missing message.

Steps I took:
- Took the hard disk out, put it in an external hard disk docking station (to see what's in it, and to extract the thousands of songs my son stored in it).
- There was nothing shown in the hard disk! And the available disk space said 288GB.
- At this point, I just wanted to clean install Windows 7 in it. So, I formatted the disk (NTFS).
- I right clicked on the hard disk, chose Format and followed on-screen instructions to Quick Format. It Quick Formatted, but still came back with 288GB of available space. Not sure what happened to the rest of space.
- I reinstalled the hd into the laptop.
- Put in the Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) disk. After the initial Toshiba logo screen, it said BOOTMGR missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. I kept pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, it would again show the initial Toshiba screen, and back to the BOOTMGR missing screen.
- So, I went into the BiOS, changed the boot sequence to FDD 1st, then HDD. This time when I restarted the machine, it said something like Press any key to load from CD/DVD drive. I press any key, it shows the same dreaded message..........BOOTMGR missing.

Any help how I can salvage this laptop? If I need to buy a fresh new hard disk, I am willing to do so, ONLY if it assures it would fix the problem (because, if it doesn't fix the issue, I cannot return the new hard disk).

Thanks everyone.

Regards,
Brillopad

Change the boot sequence to CD/DVD Drive first.

With the Windows 7 disc in, boot up the PC, and as soon as it says press any key, ress enter or something, a white loading bar should move along the bottom to load the setup.

Get back to us with the results :)

joedaman633-

1st of all thanks for your suggestion. I already did that (put the CD/DVD 1st in the boot sequence), kept the Win7 disk in it, booted up the laptop, it still gives the exact same BOOTMGR is missing error.

Can you tell me what should be the EXACT boot sequence? I think it shows 5 (HDD, FDD, CD/DVD, LAN and USB).

Regards,
brillopad

I personally have CD/DVD > USB> HDD > LAN > FDD

As long as CD/DVD is first it theoretically should work.

As soon as the PC is turned on, repeatedy tap F11 and F12 (one of them will be 'boot order' or 'boot manager' or similar. If it comes up, select the CD/DVD drive and tap 'enter.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom