Replacing OS hard drive

I wish to VERY MUCH THANK YOU for your expert advise and time in assisting me. Once I get this done, I will post another reply letting you know how everything went. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

So how critical is it that XP is OEM for the install?

no problem. If you have any questions please post them.
No question is to big or too small or silly.

very critical.
if you have an OEM key, and use a regular retail cd. The product key wont work. And same goes for the other way around.
Look at the product COA sticker. If it says OEM software, then you will need an OEM cd.

Last edited:
I do not see OEM anywhere on the COA sticker. So, that being said, and just having acquired XP SP3 Home Edition OEM with product key, is this going to be a problem? I acquired this as you had referred to HP OEM, so that's why I went ahead with the acquisition.

If you have a product key, and it's not in use on any other computer. you'll be fine.
Most of the time if it's a HP, Dell, Compaq type of OEM, it wont ask you for a key.
It will be autmatically installed.

I'm back. So, I received the Windows XP Home Edition installation CD . . . excited. I did what you said, inserted the disc and rebooted.

During initial blue-screen Windows Setup, there are initial options (1) setup Win on selected item (2) create partition (3) delete selected partition on C: Parition (unknown) 131,069MB; so I chose #1. but wait, the HD is a 1TB, why is it just showing 131GB??? Is it because I partitioned it a few years ago. It has NOTHING on it . . . it's blank. Options then are to "INSTALL", "DELETE" or "QUIT" . . . I chose install.

Next window pops up saying that the partition is either too full, damaged or not formatted . . . Setup must format with 2 options available: Format using NTFS file system (Quick), or Format using NTFS file system.

Okay, so, I chose the latter the first time around, and installation took quite a while, including when setup "copies files". PROBLEM ONE . . . at the end, a blank screen with the error message "Disc read error, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart", and then it goes right back into wanting to install Windows XP.

The second attempt I told setup to delete the partition and create a new one, and then told it to format using NTFS file system (Quick). The installation froze at 20%.

The third attempt I repeated what I did the first time, and everything worked out fine. THANK YOU.

A different problem that maybe you can redirect me to if you are uncertain how to help? I purchase a new 300W power supply from CPUtopia to replace my 215W supply since I am running a Radeon 2400Pro that states I should have at least 275W on board. Well, I installed it and everything went fine, for the first minute. Then the computer just plain died. I triple checked all the connections, even took it out and reinstalled it, but nothing worked. Replaced the old power supply and it's up and running. I will be returning it (less S&H). Do you know maybe why. The company sold it for my HP a350y. I did notice however that on the connector for the SATA HD, there was a 5th, orange wire. I only have a yellow, red, and two blacks. Makes me wonder if they sold me the wrong one, or if it was just plain bad. Any ideas where I can find a good power supply?

Tony

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Sorry for that lengthy post. So, besides my power supply issue, I have Windows XP up and running, but when I check the Properties of the HD, it only shows 137GB as the total room. This is a 1TB HD!!!

I can only imagine that because I partitioned it into 3 partitions a few years back, and even after erasing everything on it, and then loading Windows XP, the Setup only recognized the first partition.

So, the question is, is there a way I can get the system to recognize the other two partitions? Or do I have to start completely over and do this OS installation another way?

Thank you!

I'm not sure what you are referring to. My power supply issue, or the fact that "Properties" is not identifying the full 1TB capacity?

Back
Top Bottom