My computer overheating please help

This. Dust can do everything that you have described and as OhSnapWord mentioned it can cause lots of damange if not fixed.

Instead of canned air, I'd suggest getting this: Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120-Volt: Home Improvement I've gotten one in the past and it blows out so much extra dust and it's always at full charge.

Ok, thank you everyone. There is currently company at the moment so I cannot just go out and purchase something to clear the dust. Tomorrow I will, thank you all for your feedback.

Edit: I am curious though, what kind of serious damage could the dust cause?

Last edited:
Overheating issues mostly. In extreme cases, it can cause shorts as it could be electrically conductive.

Overheating issues mostly. In extreme cases, it can cause shorts as it could be electrically conductive.

Ok, I put way too much hard earned money into this to let anything like that happen. My PC Gaming days are over until I fix this shit. What if I open the side of my case, get a fan and let it blow? Could that be a temporary fix? I am bored as hell now as I always PC Game day and night. I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions while you're replying?

Just clean it? You don't need Any special tools, they would make it a little easier and quicker (compressed air, New paint brush). Just get in there and clean it, especially the heatsink.

Just clean it? You don't need Any special tools, they would make it a little easier and quicker (compressed air, New paint brush). Just get in there and clean it, especially the heatsink.

Ok, everyone, I just purchased compressed air, and bought two new fans. I added one fan on the top and a second on the side. The top blows out and the side blows in the current temp is 28 C the lowest it has ever been. I also cleared as much dust as I could. Thank you for the help everyone, I will now play Skyrim and test, then report back if my computer overheats or not. It shouldn't though.

A very rare event if dust caused an electrical short in a computer, odds are that high I would doubt it happening.
In the last 20 years of building & servicing computers I never seen or heard of dust causing electrical shorts....only build up & blocking vents of PSU's and heat sinks.

Last edited:
A very rare event if dust caused an electrical short in a computer, odds are that high I would doubt it happening.
In the last 20 years of building & servicing computers I never seen or heard of dust causing electrical shorts....only build up & blocking vents of PSU's and heat sinks.

It's possible although it is very improbable. Most of us probably will never see it.

It's possible although it is very improbable. Most of us probably will never see it.

Ok then. Everything is running smooth at the moment. I was invited to the War of the Roses Beta last night. It is a graphic demanding game, I couldn't test it for too long though as the first day of my sophomore year in high school was today. I had to go to bed early. I played it for about 30 minutes before I went to bed though. My motherboard displayed 41 C. My computer has never gone that low before when in game. It usually would stay at 78 C and then crash when it hits 99 C which would take about one hour. I am back from school now so today I can play for a few hours and it will be the true test. I can only run the game with 24 FPS with everything on low. Thank you for all the help. I really do appreciate it.

(EDIT: I'm very cheap when it comes to computers, you don't need an expensive pc or equipment to play the latest, i keep my pc clean as anything, it looks rusty as the parts are 4years+ old, still clean them every few months and thermal paste is added, no dust, that's how you keep a good pc still optimized for good performance and latest games)

Has anyone suggest thermal paste?

hehe :)

Here, I have a computer, I've been on them for long enough to understand this simple problem, I've been in the same situation as yourself, and my problem was fixed after I completely cleaned my pc, added thermal paste to both my cpu and my gpu, I also put the tower on the side and have the side panel open, now.. on my cpu I fixed a copper heat sink, it reduced the temp, I also added two fans that I lean on both sides of the heatsink, so I have 3 fans on my heatsink, one on top and one on both sides, on both sides the heat comes out and rises, now this is why I keep my pc on it's side due to having the panel open and getting all that heat out quickly.

Make sure to add thermal paste... also I use a program called: speedfan, I turn my gpu fan speed to max when gaming, here is a picture:

as you can see no dust

muty5e.jpg

sb0woh.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I haven't added any thermal paste to my CPU. So far, the new air flow is working out real well for me.

Edit: The fans make a hell of a lot of noise now, but it doesn't bother me. As long as they are doing their jobs is all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom