Help Me Build My New Gaming Rig

Computear

Daemon Poster
NOTE: THIS POST IS UNFINISHED, I AM UPDATING IT AS I FIND CHOICES

Hello ComputerForums.org

The last time I was on these forums, I was looking for help choosing parts to build a gaming computer after my laptop had an unfortunate spill of water into it.

I was VERY satisfied with the results, and it lasted quite some time, until yesterday, the gaming rig that I built to replace the rig that I spilled water on, got water spilled into it (it might have been me).

Don't ask how, or why I didn't learn my lesson, point is, I'm here to build a new (and better!) computer!

BUDGET: Trying to stay under $2000.

CASE:
Antec 900 w/ USB 3.0 ~ $100
PSU: CORSAIR TX850 V2 850W PSU ~ $135
CPU: Intel core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge (should I upgrade to a Sandy Bridge?) ~ $320
CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H70 ~ $85
MOBO: z77?
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 670 ~ $400
MEMORY: 12GB (3 x 4GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 SDRAM @ 1600 MHz ~ $80
HARD DRIVE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226MUSHKIN Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD ~ $190
DISC DRIVE: LITE-ON CD-R/DVD-R DRIVE ~ $20

If you have any experience with these products, or any advice/recommendations, please contribute!

I just realized the parts I was choosing left me WAY underbudget...

While this is good, I'm willing to upgrade further, probably starting with the CPU...

Last edited:
Looked at some benchmarks and changed my decision of CPU.

CASE:
Antec 900 w/ USB 3.0 ~ $100
PSU: CORSAIR TX850 V2 850W PSU ~ $135
CPU: Intel core i5-3750K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 ~ $230
CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H80 ~ $100
MOBO: GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 6Gb/s ~ $130
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 670 ~ $400
or
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit ~ $300
MEMORY: 12GB (3 x 4GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 SDRAM @ 1600 MHz ~ $80
HARD DRIVE: MUSHKIN Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD ~ $190
DISC DRIVE: LITE-ON CD-R/DVD-R DRIVE ~ $20

TOTAL : ~ $1285-1385

Last edited:
I really want to sink a bit more money into this rig, but I can't figure out where would benefit most.

If you really want to spend more money look at the Sandy Bridge - Extreme CPUs (i.e. i7-3960X).

As for the GPU, don't choose the 660ti, it's (in my opinion,) over-priced right now, go for the 670 instead.

You may also want to get an HDD to store or backup any documents or files which won't need to be held on an SSD

I think I'm gonna just overclock the i5-3750k, I don't wanna take the jump up to the i7-3960k. The rest of my budget I guess I'll upgrade my peripherals.

Seeing as you have so much money why not stick 16gb(4x4) ram on?

I'm upgrading from 8GB in my current system which didn't seem necessary, and the ram I chose should be able to OC to 2000 MHz if I need to, would I see any performance improvement with 16GB over 12GB or would I never even use that much?

If it will increase my performance even slightly ill do it, ram is cheap.

12GB should be plenty. I would only go more if you plan on running multiple memory intensive applications or VMs.

After a minor setback, I'm just about to begin ordering parts, looking for any final input on my choices.

Looks like a nice build. Yes, RAM is cheap so we all tend to load up on it.

Truth is, you'd be hard pressed to use more than 4.5GB under any circumstances, so 8GB is more than you'll need for years. But hey, who am I to talk with 16GB I can't use. I bought it, because I couldn't resist the price for 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, for $74.99.

Oh, and to answer your earlier question. You will see, feel, perceive, absolutely no difference between 8GB, 12GB, or 16GB of memory. You will also never be able to detect the difference between 1600MHz, 1866MHz, or 2100MHz, without the aid of benchmarking apps.

I'm running the same Mushkin SSD you intend to buy. If you want it to run at or slightly above it's rated specs, be certain to use your motherboard's native Intel SATA III ports.

Back
Top Bottom