My computer overheating please help

Justin979271

Baseband Member
Ok, everyone this has been happening for a little over a month now. Whenever I play a graphical demanding game for an hour or more, my computer shuts down. I even installed two more fans last time this happened. I did notice there was a shitload of dust all over my GPU, Heatsink, and fans. Could dust do this? That time I tried spraying with compressed air all over the dust but I ran out and there was/is still a lot more dust. Example of games this has happened: Battlefield 3, Arma II, Arma II: Operation Arrowhead, and now Planet Side 2 Beta. I was invited to Planet Side 2 Beta today. I played it for a little more than an hour and boom my computer shutdown. I then turned it right back on which was stupid. I felt the fans blow really, really hot air. It was the hottest air I have ever felt in my life. Really hot. My motherboard also displayed a number "99" I assume that means 99C. My computer shut down again shortly after I turned it back on. I let it stand for about five minutes off. Then I turned it back on and everything is cool. My motherboard now says "58" as I am typing this thread right now. My question is pretty much what do I do? Should I go out and purchase more fans, buy the compressed air, what?
Thanks in advance.

Also, my computer Specs are:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JUSTIN-PC
System Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
System Model TA990FXE
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, 3300 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.4, 3/8/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Justin-PC\Justin M*******
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.98 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.8 GB
Page File Space 7.98 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
PSU: 700 watts

Edit: My Steam name is Justin_PC*Gamer#15 I am on Steam majority of the time so if you need to contact me about this issue feel free to contact me on Steam.

Last edited:
Your pc needs a deep clean. So yes get more compressed air. Hopefully u havnt damaged anything yet. What case do u have. What size fans, how many. Where are they. And which hav u set to suck an which to blow?

Your pc needs a deep clean. So yes get more compressed air. Hopefully u havnt damaged anything yet. What case do u have. What size fans, how many. Where are they. And which hav u set to suck an which to blow?

I have an ATX Case. How could I have damaged anything what do you mean? I dont know the size of the fans. All four fans are different sizes not including the heatsinks. One fan in the front, another in the back, another on the side, and another on the top.

Edit: The one on the side, top, and back blows out. The one in the front blows in.

Two areas I'd be looking at is to upgrade your cpu heat sink and PSU...
I do not think an overheating graphics card will shut down a computer but some can correct me if I'm wrong but an overheating psu or cpu will.

Two areas I'd be looking at is to upgrade your cpu heat sink and PSU...
I do not think an overheating graphics card will shut down a computer but some can correct me if I'm wrong but an overheating psu or cpu will.

Ok. So should I buy a new PSU and CPU? They are both a little older than 8 months. Could they crap out so quick?

Ok. So should I buy a new PSU and CPU? They are both a little older than 8 months. Could they crap out so quick?

Edit: I just purchased Skyrim on Steam so I will update this thread with the results if I shutdown while playing it. I will definitely be playing it for hours upon end. It is downloading at the moment.

It wouldn't normally fail after 8 months, If u kept it clean an dust free. An yes a CPU overheating would cause shut down. And depending on Mobo, a overheating gpu would to.

Is ur CPU heatsink full of dust to.

Iv had my pc keep shutting down before. It was a faulty psu. So you might wanna get that tested

It wouldn't normally fail after 8 months, If u kept it clean an dust free. An yes a CPU overheating would cause shut down. And depending on Mobo, a overheating gpu would to.

Is ur CPU heatsink full of dust to.

Iv had my pc keep shutting down before. It was a faulty psu. So you might wanna get that tested

Yes, my CPU heatsink is full of dust. Also, here is an update. According to Steam, I played 4 hours of Skyrim. My computer just crashed now. Luckily I saved it like 2 minutes before so I hardly lost any progress. Still annoying. Damn.

Edit: It only shuts down when I am playing a graphic demanding game. Nothing else. I can browse the web fine, etc.

For the love of God man, clean the dust out of your computer. Dust can absolutely cause these issues you're having. Left unchecked, it can cause very expensive damage. Dust restricts airflow which negatively impacts cooling performance which causes the computer to crash.

For the love of God man, clean the dust out of your computer. Dust can absolutely cause these issues you're having. Left unchecked, it can cause very expensive damage. Dust restricts airflow which negatively impacts cooling performance which causes the computer to crash.

This. Dust can do everything that you have described and as OhSnapWord mentioned it can cause lots of damange if not fixed.

Instead of canned air, I'd suggest getting this: Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120-Volt: Home Improvement I've gotten one in the past and it blows out so much extra dust and it's always at full charge.

Back
Top Bottom