Crashing router.

I just checked. It was running at 54mbps.
But it was set to Auto.
I'll set to to 54mbps as that's the highest it will go.

BTW: I'm running dd-wrt firmware.

Setting it to 54mbps doesn't work well.

It all seemed to flow nicely. It crapped out in about 45 minutes.
I had to set it back to auto.

Nope. I switched the firmware years ago Probably like in '06 or '07.
The speed wasn't was it should be, and the firmware changes wasn't working so I switched to dd-wrt.

I'm just wondering if we haven't used up our router now. Everything seems fine until I start using that one desktop. I'm actually thinking it may be the network card in the router itself. I switched to linux and connected and the IP's shot into the 450's. I could be on the net for about 10 minutes before it crashed

Nope. I switched the firmware years ago Probably like in '06 or '07.
The speed wasn't was it should be, and the firmware changes wasn't working so I switched to dd-wrt.

I'm just wondering if we haven't used up our router now. Everything seems fine until I start using that one desktop. I'm actually thinking it may be the network card in the router itself. I switched to linux and connected and the IP's shot into the 450's. I could be on the net for about 10 minutes before it crashed

Ok, then you must have a G/B speed. N is what is out now and is the fastest. I think it is time for you to get a new router. I don't know what your price range would be but this is a good one:

NETGEAR - N300 Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch - WNR1500100NAS

Also, what modem are you using?

I was wondering the router wasn't crapping out on me. Gave me years of trouble free service.
As for modem, Motorolo Surfboard 5100 (I think it's the 5100)

I was wondering the router wasn't crapping out on me. Gave me years of trouble free service.
As for modem, Motorolo Surfboard 5100 (I think it's the 5100)

Ok, that is an old modem. It was originally released in 2004. I had the same modem last summer. I was having problems with my router at the time. The router was from 2008 so it was 3 years old at the time. The modem which was the same as yours was 7 years old at the time. I contacted my ISP and they gave me a new modem. They also recommended that I buy a new router. Once the new modem was installed all my connection problems were solved. I did purchase a new router though. That made things even faster. Your modem could very well be the problem.

Edit: In fact, your computer problem with the connections could have nothing to do with it. Technology works like that. You never know.

I don't think it's the modem.
When I can get into the router when the connections are failing, I can see the connection from the router to modem looks normal.

Back
Top Bottom