Seemingly unavoidable speaker interference... Help!

Hakka

Beta member
I had my old computer connected to a 30 year old Rotel RA-820 amplifier, and it worked fine with good sound quality. I then got a new computer, but on the same setup it produces a lot of sound interference - particularly when I'm using a 3D application or something which uses a lot of processing/graphics power. This happens both on the on-board audio and on an external USB sound card - a Creative Sound blaster X-Fi HD.

The interference is loud and annoying but I don't think it can be an earthing issue, since it doesn't happen during boot. Only when windows has finished loading and is at the logon screen does it start.

What's weirdest of all is that it's there even when the amplifier or computer is on 0% volume or muted AND when the amplifier is not set to take the computer's input! The only cause I can think of is that this computer uses much more power - which it does - than the old one, but even so I'm not sure how that could be the cause.. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. The amplifier works fine on other inputs.

really not sure how interference works, i get it on my speakers when the heating/boiler kicks in sometimes and its nowhere near the pc. lol

Are all your cables shielded. you might try instulation tape around all the bare metal of the cables etc. see if that helps?

Update: I have tried it with different amplifiers on the same sockets in the same place, and not all produce crackle. It seems only the older ones do, this is a shame as to get a new one as good as my Rotel you need to pay... a lot. Anyone think there is still hope to get it working without interference?

Back
Top Bottom