Help with new build - Dual Monitor setup

insaniak1

Beta member
I got the computer picked out and all and it's about to ship, what I'm thinking about now is the dual monitor setup I want. I've never done dual monitors before and I'm thinking I could use some help from some pros. I want two HDMI monitors (I'm going to be using one for an xbox when I get one in a few months and want an HDMI monitor for that, until later in which case i'll just upgrade to a full on 42"+ TV), I'm assuming I need the 1 in 2 out HDMI splitter and the HDMI cables. I'll post all below where i'm planning on getting it from. Would there be anything wrong with this or any problems I would encounter? I 'm sure my rig can be compatible with dual monitors. If you need to know the rig specs, let me know and I'll post all of them.

I'm also going to need some speakers, any suggestions there would be great too, they don't need to be the best of the best, just pretty good for a decent price. I haven't even started looking for them because I'm mostly planning on using a headset/headphones but i'd like speakers for when I watch movies from my bed etc.

Monitors 2x
Amazon.com: Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 24-Inch Ultra-thin Widescreen LED Monitor - Black: Computers & Accessories

HDMI Splitter:
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Powere...7322&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+splitter+1+in+2+out

HDMI Cables: Amazon.com: DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M (6 Feet): Electronics

I'm also looking into getting a better gaming keyboard than the default that comes with it, I was looking at the Logitech G19 mainly for the Screen on it:
Amazon.com: Logitech G19 Programmable Gaming Keyboard with Color Display: Electronics

and if that didn't work out I'd resort to the Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate:
Amazon.com: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (RZ03-00381900-R3U1): Electronics

Also, I'm pretty set on this headset for gaming because its cheap, has surround sound, and is good build quality. I haven't bought it yet but I'm going to get it soon after the monitors most likely.
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-G...UTF8&colid=N3XKRHKKTIIC&coliid=I2P6GMLP1ZPJ3N
I would greatly appreciate any information/tips/advice you have for me. I'm going to go to college next year to major in Information Technology and I'm planning on getting a minor in Computer Science.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that if you use a splitter to drive 2 displays, they will be cloned. That is, they both will display the same exact thing. As far as the computer will be concerned, you will have one monitor.

OhSnapWord said:
Keep in mind that if you use a splitter to drive 2 displays, they will be cloned. That is, they both will display the same exact thing. As far as the computer will be concerned, you will have one monitor.

So what device if any do I need to split the HDMI?

You need to make sure the computer has more than one video output. It doesn't matter if it's HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort or VGA.

You need to make sure the computer has more than one video output. It doesn't matter if it's HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort or VGA.

It does have at least one of each of VGA, DVI and HDMI. Would i have to get an adaptor and a DVI cable to transfer it to HDMI? I think the monitors also have DVI ports though.

If the monitor does have DVI, then you can use a DVI cable. If not, you would need to get some kind of adapter. DVI to HDMI would preserve the digital signal. DVI to VGA would convert it to an analog one.

If the monitor does have DVI, then you can use a DVI cable. If not, you would need to get some kind of adapter. DVI to HDMI would preserve the digital signal. DVI to VGA would convert it to an analog one.

the monitors don't have DVI ports, they each just have two HDMI ports, could i use a DVI cable and then an adaptor that converts it to HDMI into the monitor?

Usually, the DVI to HDMI adapters plug directly into the DVI output on the video card. You would then use an HDMI cable to connect to the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom