Weird clicking noise on a new laptop

Sounds like a program working in the back ground, have you disable your screensaver as some of these can cause activity...
Some power saving settings can cause this also.

Sounds like a program working in the back ground, have you disable your screensaver as some of these can cause activity...
Some power saving settings can cause this also.

I disabled the screensaver, and I looked though power saving settings, I turned off having the drive stop while it is plugged in, and it still makes noises :(

I thought it may have been a program in the backround, I know its not my anti-virus, I guess I will start to isolate the program. I think it may be pagefile?

I agree with joedaman633, No hard drive should be making random click noises.... send it back under warranty, otherwise it will fail eventually.

I agree with joedaman633, No hard drive should be making random click noises.... send it back under warranty, otherwise it will fail eventually.

The thing is, it only ever makes noises when I am using Windows 7 and mainly when the computer is idle. I tested the drive a few times, with various different programs and all said the drive was healthy, so i'm not really sure that it is a problem with the drive itself.

The only "clicking" sound that would be normal to hear is the sound of data being read from or written to the drive. This is normally a a very rapid click and very quiet. You would not hear this sound when there is no disk activity such as when the computer is idle, unless you're running a virus scan or defragmenting.

If you can, upload a video of the sound your hard drive is making.

Back
Top Bottom